do i REALLY need a crossover?? and an amp question. and an ohm question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, as a noob, i dont exactly have the skills to be soldering capcitors, resistors, etc. would it be possible to make some 2-way speakers with 6 drivers and a tweeter (or mid-range) without a crossover?

im thinkin about 6 tang-bang 2 inchers and the 25-1166S 1" tweeter from TB.

my other question is if an amp is necessary with a subwoofer? i dont need more than the 120 watts my main receiver pumps out.

my bedroom speaker project will consist of three 4 ohm drivers. my receiver is a mid-end 8 ohm, high efficiency receiver and outputs 90 watts. could i hook up the 4 ohm speakers to it?

thank you

please respond

legendaryfrog -

Is your receiver 2 channel? You can either run a sub off the "B" speaker outlets (with a passive sub XO) or better, hook up a sub XO like this to your sub box:

http://www.mavin.com/index.php?crn=49&rn=334&action=show_detail

You run both channels from the receiver to the sub, then back out to your mains. No separate amp needed.

A passive sub like this is cheap and simple, but the 140 hz XO point may be too low for the small TBs - but I don't know which ones they are or what their range is. A drawback of passive subs is that you're pretty much stuck with what you have - you can't change the XO frequency or slope, nor adjust the gain, etc. Also, even though your receiver puts out (a claimed) 120 watts (per channel?), the sub may suck most of that power if you like to listen at high SPLs.

But you sound like you're looking for low cost and ease of build, which is fine, so this might be your best choice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.