Anyone know some decent free SPL meter software & "white noise"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First, I'm a student. Please don't tell me to "go buy a SPL meter". I'm new to DIY speakers, and a good SPL meter would mean that I could'nt build any speakers 'till I get some more money.

Anyway, does anyone know of some decent software that will allow me to measure the output of a speaker? I have some Teslas I'd like to try, but they have nearly no bass, and I need to figure out what they need in the way of crossovers. I have a laptop, a cheapie microphone, and a headphone->RCA adapter, and that's about it.

Finally, a link to some downloadable "white noise" for testing a speaker would be dandy.

You either need to spend money on the spl meter or buy a calibrated microphone($$$$). If you dont do one or the other you will not accurately measure spl levels. Unless you know the error and adjust for it.
The radio shack spl meter is like 20 bucks($29?) and the mods to make it very accurate are cheap and easy.
If you build a mic/preamp and mod an RS spl meter you can stay around 60-80 dollars, good mics will start at $50 and I dont remember if that is the calibrated units price or just the uncalibrated.

Joe,

From what I have read, ATI SPL meter is the same one as the Radio Shack model except that ATI have fixed/modified it so that it's also accurate at the lower frequencies. Now, finally, people can "set-up" their subwoofer placement correctly!

It is because of the modification that I have ordered one (already owned a RS SPL meter for years) and I was told that it's backordered 3 weeks, that was about 2 weeks ago.

I did not try to order it directly from ATI, for some reason it cost more if purchase from ATI. http://www.atiaudio.com/?fa=product&id=170

fcel,

Thanks- I think I'll just get one of the $50 digital ones that don't have extended bandwidth. I already have a Behringer ECM8000 room measurement mic, so if I'll use that if I need to fine tune low frequencies. I think I'm really just looking for something to say "My office is XX decibels. It's time to put up some curtains!"

I believe that a lot of software would be able to give you an SPL, provided that you have a calibration file. What you would need to know is what voltage input at your sound card corresponds to what SPL at the microphone; this would be sensitive to anything in the chain between the sound card and the microphone. If you were using a mixer as phantom power (like I do), then you would need to have have an accurate way of setting the gain every time.

The ECM8000 is excellent for its unmodified wide and flat frequency response. I'd really trust it for relative levels between 20 hz and 20 khz. It will tell you if you have a 2 db peak or dip in your response in this range.

What it won't tell you is if your speakers are producing 80 db or 90 db. If you don't touch any levels and have controlled conditions, it WILL tell you that one is producing 3 db more than the other.

Absolute SPLs really aren't that useful (at least not from any websites I've read) for designing and testing crossovers or oven room treatments. Bottom line- do you want to ensure that your speakers are flat, or do you want to ensure that you know the precise SPL they are putting out?

microphone for measurement

microphone for measurement.

Why don't you try WM61 or WM60 of Panasonic.
It's very cheap, only about US$1.00,but you need mount it by youself. DIY.

A lot of Chinese spk-diyer expirenced it. The high F range need a little bit calibrating. The calibration file can be found at internet.

joe carrow said:
The ECM8000 is excellent for its unmodified wide and flat frequency response. I'd really trust it for relative levels between 20 hz and 20 khz. It will tell you if you have a 2 db peak or dip in your response in this range.

What it won't tell you is if your speakers are producing 80 db or 90 db. If you don't touch any levels and have controlled conditions, it WILL tell you that one is producing 3 db more than the other.

Absolute SPLs really aren't that useful (at least not from any websites I've read) for designing and testing crossovers or oven room treatments. Bottom line- do you want to ensure that your speakers are flat, or do you want to ensure that you know the precise SPL they are putting out?

Actually, yes. I have some no-name speaker drivers, and can't figure out what the heck to do with them.

Try using Praxis in "free/demo" mode, it will let you run it as a Real Time Analyzer and provides pink noise output (which is what you want with an RTA type analyzer, not white noise) from the soundcard.

PRAXIS Downloads

Hello Guys,

I want to use Audacity to record my noisy neighbors. While the sound is not too important to capture the decibel levels are. In other words I want to be able to show how high the decibel levels can reach at various times of the day and use that information as a “real world indicator” of noise. Any tips on this? And is there a particular view I can look at to see decibel levels via a flat mono microphone recording. Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.