Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn.
Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2019, 07:45 AM   #2241
chrapladm is offline chrapladm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njones View Post
That TPL200 looks really cool. Is the built in waveguide removable? You might need to do that to get the mids mounted close enough. If you designed the horn with a vertical rectangular throat matching the stock waveguide you could mount pairs of mids on the vertical sides and get them much closer to the tweeter.
I bought the TPL minus the horn. But I do plan on getting the horn to copy the angles the best I can with wood. I thought about 3d printing the tweeter mid section but figured I might as well just try and build one out of ply for now.
Quote:
Which also might be more challenging to get the angles and cuts right since Bill's spreadsheet does not account for a non-square throat, AFAIK.
I was going to attempt one from scratch based off of the TPL horn and just extending that horn then adding on the final expansion from there. My goal was to try and build a SH64 like design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Here's the response of my Gento midranges on a 3D printed waveguide:...............Looks like they made it to 1800hz
Thanks PB. I was hoping to get the mids as close as I can so that 2000hz might be possible. It doesnt really matter how high as I am just trying to have as much usable high extension as I can. That way when deciding on which I prefer I wont be stuck with perhaps a 1200hz only XO.
Old 14th February 2019, 02:20 PM   #2242
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

If you're prepared to build a waveguide to replace the one that the TPL200 comes with, I think it should work. Be careful about NOT using a wide beamwidth. 60x40 will be fine, 120x80 would be challenging.
Old 14th February 2019, 07:46 PM   #2243
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
If you're prepared to build a waveguide to replace the one that the TPL200 comes with, I think it should work. Be careful about NOT using a wide beamwidth. 60x40 will be fine, 120x80 would be challenging.
I was going to copy the angles of the TPL horn. So roughly an 80 x 30. Didnt know if I could make it more than that since thats what the AMT is anyways.

Was going to try and copy the ports as DSL did with my celestion mids but wanted to also try the idea of horizonatl slots also. I may have to wait on that last idea as I dont know if I can get a tool to use on wood that will be clean cutting and thin.
Old 15th February 2019, 02:51 AM   #2244
njones is offline njones  United States
diyAudio Member

I think there is a web based tool for calculating compound angle cuts but Bill's spreadsheet was really helpful, don't think I could have built one well otherwise.
Old 15th February 2019, 05:51 AM   #2245
diyAudio Member

I think someone posted years ago the compound angle calculator. Not sure where it is but I never figured out how to use the calculator. But I really should look into it. I have my eight celestion mids and TPL already. Just a matter of building a horn to test.

Will just be working on the mids and highs to work together and then add the bass drivers down the road. Still not sure what I will use yet. Have a few ideas but probably going to build a SH with mids/high and single bass driver below. If my budget changes then I may go with a pair of 15's per horn. But thats way down the road. Four 10's for me cost about the same as a pair of 15's.

I liked the JTR Noesis 215RT. SO I would probably build something like that but SH for the mid/high section.

But first things first I have to build my prototype and hope for the best.
Old 15th February 2019, 07:04 AM   #2246
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think there is a web based tool for calculating compound angle cuts but Bill's spreadsheet was really helpful, don't think I could have built one well otherwise.
This one looks really cool! YouTube

If nothing else the website may allow me/us with zip/zero AutoCad, Sketchup, etc., skills to quickly make basic cab, etc., drawings: https://app.sketchup.com/app

GM
Old 15th February 2019, 07:40 AM   #2247
Flaesh is offline Flaesh  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
compound angle calculator
Compound Miter Saw Calculator
Old 15th February 2019, 11:56 AM   #2248
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
This one looks really cool! YouTube

If nothing else the website may allow me/us with zip/zero AutoCad, Sketchup, etc., skills to quickly make basic cab, etc., drawings: https://app.sketchup.com/app

GM
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaesh View Post
And thanks for this also.

Hopefully I can try and learn a bit from these two links and at least get some drawings made up. Then in a couple of weeks, if I have finally moved, I will try and get started on the build. I am looking for a rental house to move into and not having a lot of luck. Dont want to unpack everything right now either.

So, sorry in advance if I dont start my build right away. My builds tend to take forever to get started and finish. But I do hope to get this started and tested before I take a trip back home to the US in May. And thanks to anyone who can help me out in advance.
Old 16th February 2019, 10:19 AM   #2249
kees52 is offline kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys

Sorry I hijacking afcourse not mine attemption to do so

I think I did post earlier but have a question, because I want to use the synergy in a home size matters, I have sim with just one bass speaker and one mid, is this possible and where I have to place the port then? bassrereflex pipe can replace the other speaker?, normally there are two speakers and 4 mids, but maybe one bass and two mid is a better option for me.

I have seen unity's who has a wideband speaker of 3 inch in stead of the compression driver with only a bass, the wideband does all from 400 a 600 hz or so and higher, but I think it will fall off 6 dB octave I can correct that but loose a lot of efficienty.

The old phillips woofer of 42 years old do quite well here.

thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_2060 Feb. 16 11.52.jpg (85.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_2062 Feb. 16 12.18.jpg (66.7 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by kees52; 16th February 2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 16th February 2019, 01:53 PM   #2250
njones is offline njones  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Modified ports with volume reducers

Quote:
I'm stuck with the port locations at this point due to physical mounting limitations. I got them as close in as possible while still allowing a gap between the frustrum port near the edge of the mid cone/surround. I ended up settling with 5/8" ports, as I have tried 3/4" as well as 1/2" and this seems to be a happy medium.

For the woofer ports I chose 1-1/2" slot port, 2-5/8" length (with a frustrum, so actual port depth is 1/4") This size ends up being 20% of the cone area so a 5:1 compression ratio. The 3/4"x4" slot ports worked ok but the frequency response was peaky so hoping this works better.

I'll post a pic later showing the port modification and filler "phase plugs".
Sprayed the back side to protect from wet sanding. It was quite a bit of work to add the filler circles but hopefully results in smoother response with more extension.

Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn.Hide this!Advertise here!