Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2018, 07:13 PM   #2221
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

As nc535 sez, don't underestimate the value of drivers radiating from very close together without directivity jumps.
Old 5th April 2018, 07:21 PM   #2222
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yeah, Bwaslo's SEOS15 thread is part of what piqued my interest. I haven't read as much of it as I'd like though, it's quite long.

So the midrange is played below the waveguide's lowest frequency? It would then basically not matter that pattern control is lost, as it would widen anyway when crossing to a woofer, but now you just cross lower and are closer to or within -wavelength to the woofer. Does that sound about right?

Just as a thought exercise, if a (theoretical) compression driver could play say 600Hz-20kHz on the QSC or SEOS, what would the unitized waveguide have over it, assuming the mids to also would cross at 600Hz?

Bwaslo, what do you cross your SEOS mids at to the 6FE100 on your SmallSyns? I should check your thread again!

Last edited by IG81; 5th April 2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 5th April 2018, 07:52 PM   #2223
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

It would matter, but you have to trade off size unless you have a big room and tolerant partner. I also prefer not to look up and see a massive structure reminding me that I'm a hifi nut! Small Syns (and some other syn designs here on diyaudio) can be placed in a room that you can still feel comfortable in. Doing a midrange helps keep all the changeovers smoother.

You can space the woofers from each other so that the two extend the horizontal directivity down a little lower if you blend them with the midranges as the directivity falls off. An advantage of using mulitway instead of a driver that could go 600Hz-20kHz is that the offset drivers of a Unity/Synergy have an acoustic lowpass filter blocking radiation of their out-of-band distortion junk, not a minor consideration in my opinion.

This is from an early version of the crossover, but pretty similar to the final --

simulated.png

Last edited by bwaslo; 5th April 2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10th May 2018, 04:12 PM   #2224
fotsinijts is offline fotsinijts
diyAudio Member

I found some Altec Lansing full range drivers (4 total) that are used in computer speakers. I was always really fond about them and since I got for I will lasercut a adaptor to fit one of my synergy pairs to see how they sound.

I'm hoping they will play way lower than the celestion tf0410mr.

One thing I dislike is the surrounding of the cone which is not paper.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_7004.PNG (764.9 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7005.jpg (603.1 KB, 188 views)

Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn.Hide this!Advertise here!