How good are Dynaudio D28 tweeters...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How good are Dynaudio D-28 AF tweeters...

Hi,

sitting on a pair of unused Dynaudio D28 tweeters in their original packings, I have thought about to build something with these eventually and have some questions about them.

My question now is how good are they compared by todays standards, are most of the danish brands (lika Peerless, VIFA, SS...) today better or is the some 20(?) years old D28 design still up to match todays tweeters?

Anyone having any kind of comparisson experiences between D28 and any other tweeter, if so then what tweeter and whats your opinion? Maybe you have not made any A/B test directly but still have any comment, would love to hear from you guys.
Also whats your feeling about D28 sound in general, how do they sound by your opinion?

Cheers Michael

Edit: I meant the D-28 AF model with a flat front plate, whereas the D-28 is a horn/waveguide loaded version.
Edit 2: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/342728-dynaudios-driver-catalog-elements.html#post5915622

Last edited:
They are horrible... disgusting sounding... shrill... harsh...

To save your ears from the atrocity that Dynaudio calls quality sound, you should package the units up and sent them to me. I will ensure that they get disposed of appropriately.

No? Ok...

The D28's were nice units. Not the absolute best-of-the-best, but nice enough to integrate with a good quality bass mid.

Mark

Hi,

for an older project that featured 2x 6" drivers in a symmetrical configuration -like in the pic above I searched longly for an tweeter and found it not in the D28 but in a modificated D28. I didn´t like the sound of the D28 very much. Always nice and never harsh but to my taste too soft and even still soft when there should have been something harsh sounding. The modification was just another faceplate and the omission of the ferrofluid. Resolution and ´livelyness´ improved considerably without the FF and without sacrificing what made the D28 such an easygoing tweeter. Many friends were atonished to hear that the D28 cood be such good.
Still though in comparison a newer Vifa XT300 for example sounds tougher, leaner and with more resolution and dynamics. The D28 doesn´t -imo- make any remarkable failures but doesn´t offer the listener everything too. This character leads to a quite relaxed performance You could listen to 24/7/365. If You want to have every fine detail presented obviously modern devices can do better.
And do Yourself the favour and get that damn oil out of that speaker ;) The Dynaudios are concepted as speakers that can withstand high wattage (they have to work with first order filters), so there´s basically no need for the FF.

jauu
Calvin

Guys, thanks for your opinions, however I have to correct a misstake in my previous post!

Sorry for the inconveniences but after seeing Jack posting the picture of a speaker with D-28 I realized I should have wrote D-28 AF as I ment the one with flat faceplate. :blush:

So lets take the same Q's again in my first post but with D-28 AF in our minds! :D

Cheers Michael

Mingo,

the SQ means with a square faceplate I guess, found D-28 SQ on www.hifisound.de

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I wonder why the FF makes the tweeter sounding worser, does anyone have any opinion wether this may depend on the viscosity mainly or anything else having to do with the fact a fluid also conduct the sondwaves through it out to the poles?
Does D-28 AF having high viscosity FF in comparison, anyone tried to change the FF with better/worser result?

btw, how do you remove the FF from a strong magnet field gap, toilet paper sucking up the fluid?

Cheers Michael

The Dynaudio D28AF is the first of a lineage of excellent 28 mm tweeters (Scanspeak, Morel, etc...). It was my reference for very long.

In an Audio Amateur issue, I read either D'Appolito or Linkwitz once removed the ferrofluid from the gap of a D28 : strangely, the resonance lowered.

Ultima Thule said:
Guys, thanks for your opinions, however I have to correct a misstake in my previous post!

Sorry for the inconveniences but after seeing Jack posting the picture of a speaker with D-28 I realized I should have wrote D-28 AF as I ment the one with flat faceplate. :blush:

So lets take the same Q's again in my first post but with D-28 AF in our minds! :D

Cheers Michael

That's it, last straw buddy! You must send them to me now for providing us false information. :D

Calvin did hit things on the mark about the D28 - it was mellower than others. To me, the sound was more natural as compared to the 'tizzle' sound of the Vifa's. I did not however notice signs of anything missing in the music though.

It was a welcome addition to the speaker projects of yesteryear. Use it, you won't be sorry.

Mark

Hi,

oh Yes I used the D28-SQ and bought it at HiFiSound.
You can remove the FF with paper tissue yes.

That were my little Granits using the D28-SQ
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Mid-woofers were a 6"-unit with poly-membrane BR-loaded. The cabinet was made from Nero Assoluto granit apart from the frontplate which was made from wooden composite material. The frontplate was covered with a felt like carpet and the D28 got a piece of rubber foam on top. The SQ met the efficiency of the paralleled 6"ers perfectly. So there´s only x-over function (3rd order electrical at ~4kHz, if I remember correctly) but no further resistance in the tweeter channel. Since it featured a quite good efficiency, the box played very well even with Se-Triode amps like the fabulous KRon or the Opera Audio.
Imo and in the listening Tests in several workshops this neat little guy outperformed the Dynaudios with regard to resolution and dynamics by far. This was imo to a great part a result of the tweeter modification and the much better cabinet. It played very well in small rooms but aAccompanied by a nice subwoofer You could easily fill quite big rooms too.

jauu
Calvin

PB2 said:

Thanks PB2,

Especially the above link was very informative!
Linkwitz observation on the D28 and his clearly positive results on removing the FF and tweak of the damping chamber is a clare case, the FF will be out of my D-28 AF's ASAP!
A wandering F0 due to the temperature changes is a disaster when creating a filter.

Calvin,

very nice speaker you have there, and trully not a bad choice of cabinet material, did you build it yourself, if so have you posted the project anywhere else?

Actually, now when memories arise the surface, I remember I hooked up my tweeters temporarily in a loudspeaker project cabinet for many years ago and listened to them, my impression was that they sounded very nice and are easy going, but with a slight lisping taking of a little bit of the edge.

Cheers Michael

dynaudio d28af quality

Ultima Thule,

These tweeters were used in the highly regarded Audio Concepts Compact Monitors I used for 20 years coupled with a Dynaudio 17W75 Mid-Bass driver, the presence and soundstage in the monitors was delightfully detailed and the set with a decent sub was "the best sound quality many friends have ever heard". They give a natural and very detailed sound that was not harsh, they are a blessing to finely tuned ears. Many recordings showed fine details that had not been present with other speakers, they do require a good high current power amp to drive them properly. These are capable of great sound at high and medium levels and are still a very respectable tweeter to this day. Hard to go wrong with these.

The non-AF D-28s were the first to market. I used them back in the '70s when they were still called "SEN-Labs." Very good for the time, much better than the popular tweeters of that era (KEF, Audax...), but there have been (in my biased opinion) many better tweeters made in the interim. They will certainly take a lot of power!

My main issue these days is the price- when they were $30, I used them, When they were $100, I didn't.

I have five small DIY speaker systems in my home theater rig which use D28 AF tweeters. I built these back in 1984 so I have thousands of hours of listening to them. I have always thought and still think that they were very good domes. They are not as good as the Esotar domes I used in the main L&R towers, but they do bear an obvious family resemblance.

Still have a pair of D-28s on the shelf, along with Morel 27s (and many other popular DIY tweeters).
Really happy with the new 4 -1/2" half size horn Wavcore, they sound wonderful, no complaints about spit and sizzle; mellow and detailed sounds.
Everyone should own a pair of Revelators; although haven't bought mine yet, always end up going for less expensive, double woofers speakers boxes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.