silver flute 5.5 as mid.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have a bunch of 5.5 silver flute sheilded lying around.i was thinking of making a tmww.1 for the mid and 2 for the woofers.my problem is that i have a seas 19tafd for the tweeter.i need to cross the tweeter around 3500 3rd order.i'm wondering if the 5.5 will work well crossed at 3500 hz.any opinions??

I haven't played with my pairs much yet, but their breakup spike is going to pretty much eliminate any kind of crossover point above 2k or 2500hz at the highest. Almost everybody suggests a 2k or lower cross with a notch to kill the breakup. I've tried pushing mine to 2500 in simulations, but I haven't built the crossover yet so I can't comment on whether I'm going to get away with it.

With the 6.5s, which have a similar breakup node, I'm using around a 2200-2400 cross because I'm using a neo tweeter with a high-ish fs, and so far I haven't been able to get rid of that harshness that you get from woofer breakup. I think the advice that others have given with respect to keeping the cross below 2k is probably very good advice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.