My new floorstanders-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all-
Here are a few pics of my new speakers.
They use Eton 7-372s and Accuton C23-6 tweeters.

All wiring is cardas. Caps for the tweeter are Hovland; Solen's bypassed with a hovland for the woofers. Inductors are 12 and 14awg Alphacore foils.

The x-over is a 2nd order butterworth at approximately 3k. There is a impedance eq on the woofers and the tweeters are run "full up" with only caps in the signal path. It's not that I don't like resistors in the signal path, it just worked out this way ;)

The cabs are heavily braced mdf with a 2.25" front baffle that is ported out the bottm.

I've really been enjoying them- what do you all think?

Nate

Attachments

• right speaker2.jpg
    right speaker2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,435
Thanks-

My equipment is as follows:
Audio research D-125 http://www.arcdb.ws/D125/D125.html
Rogue Audio Magnum 66 lsr preamp
Nottingham Spacedeck with Acespace arm and Shelter 301 cart
Passdiy pearl phono with MC boards (the 301 is very low output!!) Thank you Promithius!!
All low level signal cables are Cardas G-Master Ref www.diycable.com
speaker cables are Kimber 8TC
My digital fron end is a stock Slim Devices Squeezebox 3 that is connected to a 300gig hd in my computer. I have on of Peter Daniel's NON-OS dac kits in my closet unfinished.....

I have had the speakers running for almost two months. To me, they are very warm and natural sounding while still being highly detailed. My friends that have heard them have commented that they are very coherent and that the tweeter is worth every penny. I sit in the nearfield and they are never bright or tiring. I like a well damped bass response and they deliver this to the mid 30s with a gradual roll off. With vinyl they are imo really great.

Nate

Well, they replaced a pair of diy speakers using an XT-19 and peerless hds 5.5" midwoofer (old style). Before that, I had the Accuton tweeter and a single eton woofer in a MT configuration in a smaller stand mounted cabinet.

Both of the above speakers have satisfied me for the last two years or so.

What do you use??

Nate

I use a bunch o stuff..

depending on my mood. No bid name tubes.. (still working on resuscitating an old SRC reciever).
McCormack DNA 0.5 deLuxe/Microline Drive
PS Audio lll phono stage/Oracle Alex Mkll/SME 309 (mag) /Grado sig8
Pioneer "Elite" PD54 cdp
Castle Durham 900s/Musical Fidelity MC2's/DIY JE Labs "OB"s
Audioquest through out
decent stands
Nakamichi SR2 receiver
Sony SCHP 1001 playstation as cdp
DIY-replinth of a Sugden Connoisuer BD1, DIY "arrow" tonearm
blah, blah blah.

soon to build 41Hz amp6/Hemp Acoustics fullrangers(I really love my open baffles and have always liked the idea of full rangers)

I like the idea of having several things to flip in and out of a system for comparison sake.

Thanks guys-
It is difficult to compare the two different speakers as one was a very small 5.5" 2-way and the other is a huge floorstanding MTM.
In terms of imaging, the monitors had more focus, but the MTM's give a much deeper and less boxy presentation.

The reason that I chose the vifa/peerless drivers for the small monitors was that they offer very good performance. The fact that they are affordable is a bonus! I feel that the tweeters are more different than the woofers in terms of relative sound quality. The accuton is powerful and absolutely clear on simple and difficult passages. I would say that the tweeter even with a $200+ price tag may still represent an appropriate price/performance ration.

I really like the peerless drivers and the old style HDS woofers are really great. I believe that I could get nearly as good a midrange out of them as I could with the etons, it's just that the x-over is much more refined in the big MTMs than in the monitors. Additionally, the extreme wide range of the Eton/Accuton drivers make them really easy to integrate (the tweeter can use a 2nd order x-over at 1800hz)

The peerless drivers are very well damped and well behaved. They have really good bass definition though other drivers may have better absolute output (think extremis!).

I really like the etons and while they are expensive I feel like they delivered as promised. I need to fiddle with dampening material inside the cabs but that is about it.

The overall impression that I get is lack of strain at all frequencies above 35hz which results in a very musical yet detailed presentation. I feel that the Vifa/Peerless combo was a bit more clinical while being less detailed- though much this is probably due more to the x-over design skills than the drivers.

Nate

Nate, Here is a picture of my little 3-way that I finished up a month or two ago. Crossover is around 375HZ 2nd order and 3.1K fourth order. Very nice sounding speaker. There is something I like about eton. Lots of detail without the edge.

Jed

Attachments

• pic00008.jpg
    pic00008.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 339
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.