Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

My new floorstanders-
My new floorstanders-
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2006, 01:44 AM   #11
nate is offline nate  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys-
It is difficult to compare the two different speakers as one was a very small 5.5" 2-way and the other is a huge floorstanding MTM.
In terms of imaging, the monitors had more focus, but the MTM's give a much deeper and less boxy presentation.

The reason that I chose the vifa/peerless drivers for the small monitors was that they offer very good performance. The fact that they are affordable is a bonus! I feel that the tweeters are more different than the woofers in terms of relative sound quality. The accuton is powerful and absolutely clear on simple and difficult passages. I would say that the tweeter even with a $200+ price tag may still represent an appropriate price/performance ration.

I really like the peerless drivers and the old style HDS woofers are really great. I believe that I could get nearly as good a midrange out of them as I could with the etons, it's just that the x-over is much more refined in the big MTMs than in the monitors. Additionally, the extreme wide range of the Eton/Accuton drivers make them really easy to integrate (the tweeter can use a 2nd order x-over at 1800hz)

The peerless drivers are very well damped and well behaved. They have really good bass definition though other drivers may have better absolute output (think extremis!).

I really like the etons and while they are expensive I feel like they delivered as promised. I need to fiddle with dampening material inside the cabs but that is about it.

The overall impression that I get is lack of strain at all frequencies above 35hz which results in a very musical yet detailed presentation. I feel that the Vifa/Peerless combo was a bit more clinical while being less detailed- though much this is probably due more to the x-over design skills than the drivers.

Nate
Old 25th September 2006, 09:31 PM   #12
Jed is offline Jed  United States
diyAudio Member

Nate, Here is a picture of my little 3-way that I finished up a month or two ago. Crossover is around 375HZ 2nd order and 3.1K fourth order. Very nice sounding speaker. There is something I like about eton. Lots of detail without the edge.

Jed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic00008.jpg (51.2 KB, 324 views)
Old 30th October 2006, 08:41 PM   #13
tommy7 is offline tommy7  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default new floor standers

Awesome job, Nate !
Wish I could hear them, not just see 'em.
Old 31st October 2006, 03:27 AM   #14
nate is offline nate  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks

If you ever make it to Seattle, drop me an email and you can hear them!

Nate

My new floorstanders-Hide this!Advertise here!