Newb. questions about cheap HT replacement speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've been thinking about building some speakers for my front room, but I've never tried anything like this before, so I have some questions. Maybe one of you will be able to help me.

A while ago I bought an off-the-shelf home theatre in a box type of thing. Yes, it's not exactly hi-fi, but it was cheap, and easy to talk the wife into buying. I'm considering upgrading the speakers, because the ones we have are pretty crappy (especially the sub), and it seems like building my own would be both an interesting project and a way to get good quality sound on the cheap.

I'm not an expert DIYer by any means, but I'm reasonably handy with a saw and a soldering iron, I know some basic electronic theory, and I'm willing to learn.

I mainly use the system for movies and playing video games, not so much for music. I don't necessarily want a particularly loud system, but a decent bass response for all those explosions is a must. I don't want to replace the receiver if I don't have to.

Checking out some online shops, I found the following kits: the CSS ELF1.5s, and the DAYTON BR-1 from partsexpress.

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=ELF1.5HTBUN

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-640&DID=7

Of course I'd need a sub to go with these, and I was thinking about this 10" DLS model.

http://www.partsexpress.com//pe/sho...2&St3=74143274&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=15942&DID=7

I'm considering getting the sub and the Daytons to get a taste for the building procedure, as this would work out cheap for now, and I'm keen to get shot of my existing sub.

So to the point of this post.

1. Will my existing receiver be able to cope with new speakers? It delivers 100W per channel RMS, at 8 ohms, which appears to be OK, although I'm not clear on the requirements of the ELFs.

2. Bearing in mind my lack of experience and requirements, which kit is best for me? The CSS kit is a little cheaper and looks like it'll be easier to build, but on the other hand the Daytons would let me tackle the job in manageable chunks, and if I end up not liking the sound, or the amp has problems, I'll be left with a smaller outlay.

3. Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks for reading,

Mike.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Mike

I may be wrong, but the Dayton kit does not look like it is magnetically sheilded so may cause problems with your tv.

There is little info given on the Elf kit website so it is hard to know how it performs, and I personally would like a bit more info rather than buying blind.

Try doing a search on the forum for Home Theatre/Theater, there is much good info to be found, as well as other's experiences with various kits.

Or you could have a look at these Audax kits, which I believe are available from Madisound in the USA, and Solen in Canada.

Good luck:)

Well its like this.
At this time in my HT room I have.
-TWMM using the silverFlute,Quart mids,and twin MCM 1860 drivers.
-MTM using 1860s and a Vifa D26Sg
-MT using 1855 from MCM and the 480 from MCM
-MB1 set
-Sold my DIIIs,
-Sold my Dayton center chan.
--MT using the 657S from TB and the 25-302S
-MTM using the 657S and 25-302S.
and what I am using for HT NOW.
ELF1.5 5 of them.
Demoed at the NW DIY I held.
A very very good buy for the money.Off axis these are3db at 30 drgs off axis.
They image so weel , the fist set I built I had 5 listeners say I was running a nice center channel and I showed them I was running only 2 of the ELF 1.5.No center channel at all.
From 10ft out in my large 16X20 room the pair image as if the the center channel was running all at the same time.
This is the easy way to explain this to you.
I have not built the BR1s so no comment on them but I do have all of the TB product I can get my hands on.The only ones I do not have at this time is the 881 and I will get those after Xmas.Just no sence ordering them now I will not touch them till after then anyway.

AL

Thanks Al. They sound like they might well be a good bet.

On looking through that PDF, I notice the photo of the ELFs with the black truck bed liner finish is credited to you -- they look great.

Tell me one thing -- I see you do this type of thing for a living. Do you have any particular commercial interest in the success of this kit? I don't mean to be disrespectful, just to put your praise in the proper context. :)

Also, do you have any details about the DWARF sub that I read elsewhere is due next month? I am wondering whether that would be a better choice than the Jensen.

Thanks,

Mike.

No I make no gain on CSS selling the kits.Just say what i feel about a good thing.
If some one orders a finished kit, then yes I make money on the finishing that is it.
As far as a living.Do not think so.Sold items this month 5.
Not a living:xeye:
On the sub working on it now for Bob.Will have it done hope this week.Uses twin drivers and the RCM PR.A good match for the ELF 1.5. That is the idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.