Why Does The Lab Horn use Two Woofers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tom Danley's labhorn uses two woofers on a single throat. So I thought it would be interesting to find out what happens when this is done.

Conventional wisdom says that a pair of woofers will handle twice the power, but with 6db more voltage sensitivity. I've modeled a pair using Martin King's worksheets, and it seems that the conventional wisdom is correct. The SPL is a *little* different, which makes me wonder if there's any advantage with a more restrictive throat or mouth.

What do you think?

:: JD ::

If anyone's interested, this is how I modeled a pair using King's worksheets:

FS is the same for a pair.
QES is the same for a pair.
QMS is the same for a pair.
QTS is the same for a pair.
VAS is double for a pair.
MMS is doubled for a pair ( MMS = 1/(2 * pi() * FS)^2 * CMS )
CMS is halved for a pair (is that right?) ( CMS = VAS / ( 1180 * ( 343^2 ) * SD^2 )
RE is double for a pair.
SD is double for a pair.
*voltage* efficiency is 6db more for a pair. In the graphs, i did series wiring, hence the same SPL.
EBP is the same for an iso pair.
BL is double for a pair. (Note that motor strength has DOUBLED though! Motor strength is BL^2/RE.) ( BL = sqrt ( RE / QES ) * sqrt ( mms / cms ) )

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.