TAD and horns, where to get horns?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can someone point me towards an all TAD horn speaker design? And even more important, how to fabricate or buy the horns for less than a king's ransom?

Could one buy a Klipsh horn speaker simply to canibalize the horns out of it?

Is someone making horns for say less than $500?

Use your imagination...;) I just gave you the gift of a lifetime. I nearly wept the first time I heard my paper-mache horn. Of course, real men don't cry. :D

John

hint: don't allow the weight of the driver to rest against the paper-mache. noodle-snacks in on the right track -- use plywood, not mdf to support a 30lb driver.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Fiberglass horns 'ring' due to how hard the resin cures to, so must either be thick or externally damped, whereas paper mache is inherently well damped with an Fs well below a mid/HF horn's passband. Much less toxic, cheaper, and easier clean-up to boot!

GM

Best sounding 36" diameter horn I've ever heard!

The walls are 3/32" thick -- about 8 layers of newspaper. Use 1/3 wallpaper paste, 1/3 white glue (Elmers), and 1/3 water for the bonding agent. Around the mouth's rim, I apply thin layers of plaster between layers. If you get bored and stop, allow the casting to dry completely. When dry, seal it with water-proof primer before continuing with the further application of paper-mache. Your horn will warp otherwise. I use a two inch paint brush to apply the glue. Dampen your paper before laying it on the mold. Also, keep the glue mixture off the mold side of the horn. It dries white and isn't very attractive. Use plenty of Vasoline as a mold release agent -- Key word: Plenty.

John :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.