Jantzen Vs Mundorf Vs Solen Vs others

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Funny about the Obbligatos. I used to buy the black ones - not oil. They were a great cap at a great price, but they stopped making them. I asked why. They didn't sell, is why. Once they came out with the model in the copper tube, no one (except me) wanted the plain, black model. I thought about getting a special run done, but never did.

Appearances do make a difference. :p

Does anybody have an opinion on the trending in VDC rating vs sonic rating Tony Gee evidently has? Personal bias? Higher cost = better sonics?

I've only done this with Solens so far, but the step from 400V to 630V made an audible difference to me. I have PulseX in 400/630 VDC to evaluate as well, but have not yet done so.

Later,
Wolf

I've only done this with Solens so far, but the step from 400V to 630V made an audible difference to me. I have PulseX in 400/630 VDC to evaluate as well, but have not yet done so.

Later,
Wolf

I don't think it's the voltage rating per se, but rather film thickness and a mechanical damping effect. It's just that higher voltage caps have either thicker film or a "double" wrap of it (..like Mundorf's premium offerings).

(..at a very low level a cap is not unlike an electrostatic speaker.)

Oddly, I remember that many have noted an *inverse* effect with electrolytic - preferring a lower voltage cap (..but mechanically it's different than film/foil based caps).

I agree with Ronmeister in that I prefer the Silvers to the Superiors. I've not done a comparo with Supremes, as they were out of my price range.

There are so many different types of Mundorf, apologies for not being more precise. In my post I refered to the Mundorf M-Cap Supreme, which is within the Silvers price-range (at Strassacker for example the Silvers are slightly more expensive). That particular Mundorf is my "go to" critical application capacitor, I prefer it's characteristics to the Silvers. They, the Mundorfs, do need aaaaaaaages to reach maximum performance.

Interesting discussion, especially/also due to the inclusion of electrolytic capacitors. I'd love to hear more "by-pass" ideas.

(at Strassacker for example the Silvers are slightly more expensive).

I guess they are about $3 more than the Silvers, but I got a deal on the parts, so they were more than 3$ cheaper for me in this case.

So, was your comparison on the Solens done as a DB or SBT?

Subjective of course.

I don't think it's the voltage rating per se, but rather film thickness and a mechanical damping effect. It's just that higher voltage caps have either thicker film or a "double" wrap of it

That's really all I have to identify one over the other though, looks aside. I do agree that this is likely the reason why.
Later,
Wolf

Funny about the Obbligatos. I used to buy the black ones - not oil. They were a great cap at a great price, but they stopped making them. I asked why. They didn't sell, is why. Once they came out with the model in the copper tube, no one (except me) wanted the plain, black model. I thought about getting a special run done, but never did.

Appearances do make a difference. :p

Is that cap that you are mention ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I like that extra 'air' you get in the high frequencies with the Mundorf Supreme but as i've said a million times before, they sound louder than other caps i've tried (when used in series with a tweeter). I always have to add a bit of extra resistance to make them the same as other polypropylenes.

I use Ansar polyprops now because they are cheaper and sound very good for the money, plus you don't have to add extra resistance.

Last edited:
Just got these ANSAR Supersound SPA and PPA caps in the mail, and so far these are the physically best made caps I've ever got my hands on; this includes Sonicaps, ClarityCap ESA, Jantzen Silver/Gold, Mundorf Supreme. All caps have sealed, epoxy end-caps and a rubberized coating on the rest of the body. This makes them not only non conductive, but highly dampened which should prevent a few issues. The the red SPA caps have solid silver leads, and the black PPA caps have very thick, insulated solid copper leads; which I'm not sure will fit in the holes of my B1 board. I'll get them installed tonight with my Cardas Quadeutectic solder, and give them an initial listen verses the current Chinese caps. If the sound quality is anywhere near the build quality of these capacitors, I will only be purchasing caps made in the UK from here on out.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ebay seller ryannorth is where I got them, but that's the only place I've found. He sells them 2005-2008 made NOS, and only has a variety of SPA and PPA values. He's very easy to work with, and doesn't have a lot of them, but I did ask him about a few unlisted values and he checked his stash.

Those Ansars look like a nice part! Well made and thickly heatshrunk.

I'm really liking these, which are now mine, and they are constructed in a phenolic tube. Epoxy in one end, and are non-ind oil impregnated paper/mylar.

479313_4443894609837_416394948_o_zpse7fa9276.jpg

Compared to Z-Silvers, they have what appears to be a higher ESR, but the decays are nice and stop on a dime where ordered. The damping of the oil I feel has something to do with this, and Rodrigo Y Gabriela seemed cleaner and more detailed than the Silvers. In understand what Tony G means about a brightness effect on the Silvers now, as they do have this effect though minimal. The Plastic Capacitors LQ exhibit none of this brightness that can smear an upper midrange. I still like the Silvers, but these are indeed better.

I also have a set of Vap teflons (3.3uF) to try out on my tweeter xover, so we'll see about those.

Later,
Wolf

Does anybody tried Jantzen Superior for power supply? I know maybe crazy, but it has impact comparable to the coupling cap aplication. I was trying Standart z-cap, Mundorf evo oil, and Mundorf tubecap. They are totally bad for this aplication being to shouty, forward and flat, with extreme resolution, but totally unnatural in all devices I try them always same. The worst were mundorf tubecap, than jantzen, than evo oil. I was trying MBGO, SM, Ansar, not very good too.
Ths only good not were siemens mkp 32uf+ russian MKV 0.5uf and MGBCH 3x10uf+Mudorf Supreme 0.33uf. Where siemens was better with tube rectifier and MGBCh with Hexfred diodes
I keep looking for one perfect capacitor which are now in production. Now my conteders are Jantzen Superior, Mundorf Supreme and maybe silver version of them.

I almost always use Jantzen, it works, and even the cheaper parts (coils and caps) are good sounding. Most of my crosovers use Jantzen Crosscaps and Jantzen Aircoils and they do an exellent job. The more expensive caps does not sound that different to me (not worth the price difference).

Sometimes i also use Mundorf coils, as they are sometimes cheaper to find, and equal good. Mundorf caps are not as good for the price as Jantzen (but certainly not crap). Solen is hard to find in Europe. All 3 brands are in general good, and the differences are small in general.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.