Mid-range Speaker Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am very new to the DIY scene (car audio is my past experience which is not saying much), anyways I have read that tweeters don't really matter what type of enclosure they are in, also I have played with WinISD so I kind of understand the subwoofer end. But that leaves me to wonder how do you figure the midrange box size? Also on WinISD it appears most (if not all) subs can produce flat up to 1kHz? Is that right? Basicly I am just wondering about designing full range systems, be it with a stand alone sub or not.
Thanks,
David

A tweeter is basically in its own enclosure, and you needn't worry about volumes. It isn't a bad idea to seal it separately though, to keep the waves from the base drivers from effecting it. A midrange enclosure is designed in the same manner that a subwoofer enlosure is. Take a look at the T/S parameters, find the Vas, and there ya go. However, this may not be the exact enclosure size to suit your liking, but its basically what your looking at, aside from compensation for the bracing, stuffing, driver, etc.

And unfortunately, no, not all subs produce flat up to 1khz. Most, as a matter of fact, do not, especially those with larger cone diameters. This is one of the flaws of WinISD. And if your looking at a 12 or 15 inch driver that IS capable of producing up to 1khz, then it's likely to be on of the ugliest thing's you're going to hear. Just to give you an idea, the subs in my system are crossed over at about 40 hz. 1khz is definitely in the mid-driver frequency range.

Most "subwoofer" drivers have serious breakup by 400-500Hz, and are only usable up to 100-200Hz at best. If you are looking for something to cover up to the 1KHz range, you need a mid-woof capable of reproducing sound in (approx) the 70Hz-4000Hz range and using a crossover.

No driver that I am aware of can reproduce 20-30Hz and make it up to 1kHz. Most people build a 2-way satellite system and put a sub with it if the goal is small sized speakers.

Yeah I knew that a sub was only good for low frequencies, what I was really wondering is how you design the cabinet for the mids, I can do the sub with WinISD but I don't know how to design the mid cabinet. I guess really I'm hoping for a web page or something that discusses midrange speakers and enclosures for them.

David: The principles that govern the design of a subwoofer (to a large extent) are the same principles that you would follow to design a cabinet for a mid-woof. Your cabinet will either be vented or sealed. You will need to make sure you have enough internal volume, etc., etc.

You might want to search on speaker design software such as <a href="http://www.sonicspot.com/boxplot/boxplot.html">Boxplot</a> or other speaker building refs like http://www.scrounge.org/speak/speak.htm

When you design your midrange, use a closed cabinet. The dynamics in a closed enclosure is much better. When using winisd, choose closed and make the enclosure so big, that the value "Qtc" becomes about 0,5. This value will produce the best "starting and stopping" qualities. You can choose the value 0.7, wich is a compromise between the above qualities, but will make the enclosure smaller.

Kindly Per

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.