Need Help Downloading "Passive Crossover" FRD!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Computer: 200 MHz, 32MB RAM, 20 gig HD Win 98 SE
ZIP program-ZipItFast, an excellent unzipper
MS Office 95

I realize this is a computer question, but it is about a program to aid in loudspeaker building, so here goes.

I keep on trying to download Passive Crossover FRD. I know that RAM is a little low, but it ususally gets me around the net.

I download the program and put it in it's own folder in a folder named Speaker Test Equipment, which is located in Program Files. It unzips. Every time I try to run the program I get the message illustrated below.

Should I use WinZip, (which I hate?). The program mentions that as an unzipper. Other wise, what am I doing wrong?

Oh yeah, I cleaned out Temporary Internet Files in the Windows folder, which sometimes helps. No help this time, though.

Computer mavens from around the globe: HELP!!

Attachments

• passive crossover frd.gif
    passive crossover frd.gif
    41.8 KB · Views: 334
Joined 2001
As it turns out, I do have Excel 97, but it is with Ofice 95, or something.

Speaker Workshop I have tried to set up, but just cannot get the "hang" of it yet. A screen appears that I have no idea what I am supposed to do with or where I am supposed to go forward from.

I think it looks like a program that you might need a college course to learn.:D :D

Crossover Simulator I have been meaning to talk to you about. It requires FRD files. Well, where do I get them? I went to that FRD consortium and to an FTP site which is supposed to be their library, and the instructions said that they do NOT allow downloading of FRD files.

Would be most grateful for a step-by-step illustration of how Crossover Simulator works. How about the Peerless 10" 850146 CSX woofer crossing over to the Peerless 811827 tweeter @ 2,000 Hz for example?

That would be really, really great. In fact, the only reason I got into looking at all these programs was that I could not make hide nor tail of Crossover Simulator.

PS: For purist's sake, you might substitute the 6 1/2" Peerless CSX 850122 crossing over @ 2K to 2.5K. People might quail at a 10" crossing over that high. :) :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yup that error means that your excell version is not up to par, either the current version is corrupted and needs to be reinstalled or the XO spreadsheet will not work with the version you got.

Hehe, that is low memory, my win2k usually idles using about 100 megs.

I actually downloaded this thing the other day, and its a very good "program", it has alot of XO's and filters and is very easy to use.

I wonder myself why Speaker Workshop hasn't been updated to address user interface issues :confused:

The FRD Group's FRD ftp site is still under consruction, I think, which is why files aren't still available for download. I'm sure this will be fixed asap.

As for xoversim, have you seen the FAQ page, Quick Startup Guide, parallel 2-way sample and series 2-way sample pages? Also, please visit the Notes page.

In short, load your driver files, fill out the filter component tables, then simulate away :) Electrically, xoversim is "almost" limitless. Acoustically, only six drivers may be accounted for in the resultant curves... at least for now.

Sorry if the above are not too helpful or are confusing. The 2nd semester of school had already started when I finished the test version of xoversim's internal calculator. And so very little time was available to make a more detailed startup guide.

School just ended last week, so I should have more time for updates. I promise to make a better startup guide for the (very) beta xoversim. I won't make a full manual though; since I will be working on the final version 1 anyway.

As always, the user interface will take a while to build; particularly the graphical schematics editor since I really haven't touched it yet. I only have ideas at the moment. I'll also re-write the circuit calculator to support opamp modeling. Alongside those, I will be working on the next iteration of subsim. So I'll just update my pages as I go along.

Let me know of any specific problems with xoversim and I'll do my best to help :)

Isaac

who needs Office97 anyway?

With your low PC horsepower this may not help you but it could help others who have simular issues.

Go download OpenOffice.org. Its free, powerful, and opens/edits/saves almost all documents (ie. Exel, Word, Lotus, ect, ect.) Oh yeah...did I mention its FREE.

There is no catch ... Ive used several spredsheets from differant sites to calculate crossovers, Box/port volumes, air-speed velocity of unladen swallows....

OpenOffice.org

Joined 2001
Swirv:

Thanks for the advice. I will give Open Office a shot. The worst that can happen is it won't work on my machine, and if it doesn't, so what? It's free.

I wonder if getting more memory will change things as regards these programs. It's cheap enough-maybe I ought to just get around and do it. It's like ordering the Panasonic WM-60 microphone element-I keep saying I'll do it, but then it it never happens.

Joined 2001
F4ier:

It took me a while to "get into" Subwoofer Simulator, but when I finally did, I realized what a great program it is.

I had forgotten that you had tutorials at your website. Crossover Simulator didn't have any Help files on the toolbar at the top of the screen, so I assumed I was on my own. I will check out the Help files on your website.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
f4ier said:
I don't know if Jeff coded PCDC with lots of vba, but I'm willing to bet OpenOffice will have trouble running Paul's BDS.

The most exotic thing in jeff's PCPC is links to external HTML help pages (the links for some reason change their name when opened on my Mac -- i did all the graphics for it so it is a no care for me).

Kelticwizard did you get my mail about a version saved for your Excel?

dave

oh well...

This .xls doc is password protected. I guess so you can't change any of his formulas. OpenOffice.org will not(cannot) open password protected .xls docs. Micro$oft will not give out the info to use this feature. Hopfully this latest judgement will force them to releace the info so we can view these documents without buying Micro$oft Orifice.

BTW OpenOffice uses XML as its native file format, so to view any of the documents (wordprocessor/spredsheets/charts/ect.) all you need is a web browser that can do XML. Of course, to edit you will need OOo.

If someone would open the .xls in Exhell and export as an older .xls or other (non-micro$oft) format and post it, mayby kelticwizard, or anyone else for that matter, could open the document.

Chris

Joined 2001
Wow!! Lots of help so far. I am impressed!! :) :)

When I posted this, I just expected some general computer tips. I did not think that members would go so far as to go to the site and see what the specific problem could be.

Thanks for the help, Planet 10. However, the program still won't operate for me. Invalid file type, or something.

The least I could do is give the link to the program. Actually, I'm given the link to the FRD design consortium, a group of software programs for audio enthusisasts, of which Passive Crossover Designer is one. That way, anyone who is interested can see all the other useful programs this consortium has.

http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/frdgroup.htm

F4ier, I plan on using Crossover Simulator just as I now use Subwoofer Simulator. Both of these are part of the FRD Consortium, by the way. However, although Crossover Simulator has a built in notch filter calculator, I don't believe it gives such things as phase information, etc., for the notch filters it calculates. What I have in mind is to use a notch filter knock off a nasty spike in the natural rolloff of a woofer crossing over at 2K. The notch will be deepest around 2.8K, as I recall. That is why I think Passive Crossover Designer might be the better program, for this application.

Xoversim gives phase, acoustic, impedance and group delay plots. So, I'm not sure what you meant by xoversim being unable to provide phase plots. If you meant the phase does not change when given just a parallel series-LCR circuit, that would be because the amp, notch and driver are all in parallel. The magnitude and phase of the impedance, however, should be different in this case.

Is this what you meant?

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.