NaO Completed - First Impression

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been away for a week in Bali. I tried accessing this site in Bali and it took 5 minutes to see the first page so I gave it up.

Dan,

Thanks for joining in and sharing.

I am starting a new job on the coming Monday and possibly won't have the time to do the updated version of the NaO in the immediate future. I hope I can finish the upgrade in 2 months then I can share more information.

Jussi,

They were the previous generation of the HDS 8" possibly 850490 if I remember it correctly. I have the exact information about the drivers, the box volume, tunning frequency, etc, but they are kept in boxes and I could not find them in a hurry. I have modelled them with Unibox and they appeared to be grossly correct. Rabbitz, apparently an experienced Peerless builder in the forum, said that he could not get any decent bass out of these HDS drivers. It seems many people have confirmed that. I found them lacking below 80Hz and there are quite a bit of distorted sound in higher frequency range. I would be interested in replacing them with a U-frame but am a bit worried about running out of X-max since I have to cross them at 200Hz. I think 200 Hz is about right for the HDS 5" (850488) and can't cross it lower. With the dipole rolloff the U-frame may not cut it. I am interested in the ideals in your other thread (I am yet to check it after one week absence) and may use 2 x XLS 10" in a close box.

Regards,
Bill

While I was waiting for the part arrival for the new NaO update, I spent some time adjusting the tweeter and woofer levels. This led to a dramatical improvement compared to what I originally reported to the forum. So even without the latest NaO update, the original NaO sounded really respectful.

I have now applied the NaO Update. Although it is called an update, it is in fact a completely new passive XO for the panel and a modified active XO. The sound is as good as one would expect. I think I should post the result in a new thread here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88008

Best regards,
Bill

Thanks so much for providing much more of a description of the sound of your speakers, and comparisons, than most people post. Don't often see much beyond "they sound great"...

I visited this thread looking for pictures, but, alas, they're all gone. Could you perhaps post some pictures of your "U Frame" Nao speakers HiFiNut?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.