Another decent non-diy product

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was browsing costco yesterday and stumbled across this
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

link is here
http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...proxybuster=ECPYHAMMSR4NBJ0RMRESHQFHKFSEKI5P#

the unit has a separate small amp (the bottom unit) and the top unit is the transport, plays dvds, optical out, component out.
build quality is really nice, it even has the cones/feet on the glass shelf/stand.
The bass driver seems to be a rebadged fostex fe103 and the tweeter is ribbon.
Sound-wise, it serves well for small monitors. I was quite impressed with the sound even I was in a rather noisy enviroment.

Best of all, the system cost only $200. In drivers alone, I would guess we have to spend about $100 ( a pair of ribbons and a pair of fe103).

I would give 2 thumbs up for Philips on this particular product. The speakers aren't super cheesy and meets most of an average Joe's needs like me, and might do okay for a veteran audio person. It looks very attractive and goes well with a lcd. Price is very affordable even for a student.

I've been planning to build a small monitor for my room with a pair of fe103 and mate them with the aurasound linaeum dipole tweeters. I might just scratch that idea and get this system instead.
Now off to find a decent deal in a Lcd. My 32" sony takes up too much space :eek:

Re: Saw it at Costco

Pjay said:
looks really nice. Complete unit for under $200.

Wonder how it sounds?

P

I didn't bring any Cds to audition (who wouldve thought bringing a cd to costco :D ), so I had to settle for a dvd movie they had in the system. I was quite surprised with the bass as I turned up the volume knob. I guess it would do well in a small office or in a small bedroom. The voices are decent from the movie. The topend seems to be missing a bit.
The costco I was at was rather really noisy though, so I can't really judge on how it sounds.

panomaniac, a lot of planar are in fact called ribbon, and are monopole, so this isn't a contradiction in term

also , given the fragility of the real thing, i really doubt philips is wanting to integrate such a thing in a consumer product. On the other hand a "classic" planar is much more capable of handling common consumer hifi trouble.

i have nothing about it, especially given the fact that at this price you often have some shitty plastic tweeters that ain't good anywhere below 10khz. a planar can give some very good performance in fact

i checked them at some big store today. They in fact have a pretty decent sound. And the tweeter isn't a true ribbon ( i know, i tried to put my finger in :D )

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nemophyle said:
also , given the fragility of the real thing, i really doubt philips is wanting to integrate such a thing in a consumer product.

Ah yes, that makes sense. I agree.

Thanks for going to listen to the system. I often have friends ask me what they should buy - and I have NO idea. Perhaps this would be a good budget system to steer people too.

Dites bonjour a la place des Abbesses! Mon ancien quartier. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.