JBL amazes engineering community

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hey guys just wanted to share an amusing thing I found

I was looking at Harman Audio's outlet center and found these JBL Speakers

Now according to the JBL website, among other things these speakers benefit from:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shielded components allow placement near video monitors. High-temperature, oversized Kapton® voice coil and HeatScape™ motor structure allow these speakers to effortlessly play all types of movies and music. The woofers are built on cast-aluminum frames, which reduce distortion and increase power-handling capability. A low-diffraction IsoPower™ baffle directs the sound power into the room, reducing distortion caused by cabinet vibration. The lock-mitred, computer-designed enclosure requires no bracing. The FreeFlow™ flared port increases bass response without adding unwanted port noise. JBL's custom-designed drivers allow the use of simple, Straight-Line Signal Path™ (SSP) crossover networks with high-quality electrical components that minimize processing that could degrade the signal. All Studio Series loudspeakers are equipped with all-metal, 5-way, gold-plated binding post speaker terminals.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes that right, JBL was able to produce a $600 speaker that does not require any bracing, even B&W couldn't top this in there $8000 Nautilus 801's that rely on archaic Matrix systems to fix there low tech enclosures :smash:

Sorry guys, I know this is childish :rolleyes: , it's just funny that they can say "we didn't spend crap making these" and yet make it sound SOO high tech and wow. Same with the part about the crossover stuff. Gotta love those advertising guys.

Enjoy!

Westrock2000 said:
Shielded components allow placement near video monitors. High-temperature, oversized Kapton® voice coil and HeatScape™ motor structure allow these speakers to effortlessly play all types of movies and music. The woofers are built on cast-aluminum frames, which reduce distortion and increase power-handling capability. A low-diffraction IsoPower™ baffle directs the sound power into the room, reducing distortion caused by cabinet vibration. The lock-mitred, computer-designed enclosure requires no bracing. The FreeFlow™ flared port increases bass response without adding unwanted port noise. JBL's custom-designed drivers allow the use of simple, Straight-Line Signal Path™ (SSP) crossover networks with high-quality electrical components that minimize processing that could degrade the signal. All Studio Series loudspeakers are equipped with all-metal, 5-way, gold-plated binding post speaker terminals.

.....they can say "we didn't spend crap making these"
:D :D :D :D :D

Westrock2000
This post should earn a Place Of Honour (or Horror)
in this thread I started:

Marketing Terms - in plain cruel words!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Holy cow what happened to this thread!? It disapeared for a couple hours and I thought it was deleted, but here it is!

I am a little skeptical of Totem as there speakers are very meakish for the price and they rely alot on that little aluminum cone or whatever at various points on the top to make the speaker sound good. Reminds of places that sell anti static cd cleaners and cable towers.

Never the less I dont see how you could completely design out bracing in a rectangular shape, a sonotube or tapered egg shape yes, but not a box, at least not one thats =< 1" in thickness like most financially available speakers are.

This loudspeaker ( JBL S312II-Z ) is a very cheap products ( for manufacturer ) and it cost no more 50 USD.

Bass Speaker = no more 15 USD
Middle = no more 3 USD
Treble Speaker = no more 7 USD
Cabinet = no more 10 USD
Crossover(12dB/oct) = no more 5 USD ( and the coils are made on the iron support , bipolar electrolitic capacitors, etc.
Accesories and other cheap stuff = 10 USD

JBL sell this loudspeaker to distributors with 120 - 150 USD/ piece.

100$ for loudspeakers and 500$ for other peoples.

The conclusion is : If you can and you like this , be a DIY - ers !!!

Regards !

A manufacturing cost of US$50 would be less than 10% of retail. I thought that the audio industry norm was more like 20% for the big multinational companies; and somewhat higher for the smaller specialty manufacturers.

I suppose that if the country of manufacture has really cheap labor prices and non-existant environmental regulations, than perhaps US$15 for cast aluminum frame woofers or US$ for cabinets may be possible. Not sure how you could accomplish this in any developed country, however.

regards, jonathan carr

Westrock2000 said:
I am a little skeptical of Totem as there speakers are very meakish for the price and they rely alot on that little aluminum cone or whatever at various points on the top to make the speaker sound good. Reminds of places that sell anti static cd cleaners and cable towers.

I have mentionned Totem just for the lock-miter joins, the other stuff you mention is subjective so just a matter of taste.

Here is the proof:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For those interested, the bit is sold here for 70$. Pretty expensive since my 36 bits kit cost me 100$ (in sale).
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=30119&category=1,46168,46174&ccurrency=1&SID=

Computer Designed = Made for a Crash

I wouldn't like to have products associated to
the degree of reliability of a Computer.

:eek: gives me a bad chill ....

What computers are those who write things like this
used to?

Must be a very old expression ....

Why not "handmade by a computer"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.