Tang band line array?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys I am new here and also a newbie to the diy world. I wasn't sure if I should have posted this here or in the fullrange forum. Most of those speakers only use one driver. I am 24, married 1 year, and for now work at lowes until I get on with Boyds coffee. I am starting a little project. I want to build a pair of small line arrays using the 4 inch Tang Band bamboo driver. I already have 16 of them and planned on using 8 on each side. I may go 16 on each side later. If I don't and it lacks in the top end I may use a top mount tweeter. Basically what I want, as does everyone else, is to have the best sound reproduction possible. What do you guys think of this idea?

I don't really know anything about this driver, so I was wondering if someone could tell me what kind of box these drivers like. I think read somewhere that they like ported boxes. If so what size tubing is good. Also I read that they do well with notch filters, funny thing is I don't even know what a notch filter is!. I assume that I will learn alot here. So in short can someone help me design a line array using these that will sound as best as possible. Oh just so you know I have a Yamaha RXV-3200 for power and a pair of Snell model k's. Thanks guys.

Saab man Dan

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/264-846.pdf

I bet it would be great... chances are that you will need bass, not treble. Consider adding a woofer with a plate amp.

With the efficiency at 89 for a single driver, you will find 8 drivers per side will make your ears bleed. Some here will offer admonishions regarding the combing effects that you will encounter. These can't be discounted but I would be inclined tto mount them in an open baffle just to at least get an idea of how they will sound. Grab a 4" hole saw and tell us what you think.

As for mounting them in a pipe ~TQWP... well I haven't seen two many examples of arrays using pipes. This speaker could use some help on the low end.

I was just thinking of making a regular cabinet using mdf or birch and using pvc for the port. I just need to know how much air space they like and what size pipe for a port. I had them open baffle and they sounded too airy, like they were playing free air. Kinda nazzely you know. Any help

Saab man Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.