Alternatives to Eros MKI/MKII xover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After trying out both version, I found that the sound was too bright for long term listening. Also, the xover was too low (at 1750hz) which results in harshness in the female voice.

After exchanging email with another diy fellow Ramon from the Netherlands, we came with a different version of xover that is much more musical but just as much details.

Also, the xover uses much smaller caps on both the tweeter and woofer which definitely helps the sounds. The xover point is now at 2.5Khz. Minimum impedance is 3.9 ohm. Both tweeter and woofer are connected with possitive polarity.

I would appreciate if someone could try out and let me know.

Attachments

• schematics.pdf
    4.6 KB · Views: 189
Here's the absolute final xover:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I had to add a notch filter to suppress tweeter rise at around 5kHz. The notch fitler does not appear to affect the dynamic. Overall the sound is very balance. Finally I can just sit back and enjoy the music.

Feel free to play around with C21, R21, R22 if you either like it to be a little bit more forward or laid back.

L22 of 23.9uh has to be custom made.

By the way, if anyone in SoCal interested, I wouldn't mind invite you over for a second opinion.

try active x-over.

you need a Behringer, digital x-over(or analog version cheaper but not so versatile) and another amp. Total cost slightly more expensive than passive(*). This compo is very versatile x-over freq. can be tuned to suit. You even program notch or bump to suit.

I am doing this now not with eros though.

* with passive you make a mistake can be expensive, you cannot return components. good quality components are very expensive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.