How to ship tweeters with ferro fluid?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think the fluid should be very strongly attracted to the magnetic gap. Do the tweeters have a vented pole piece? Were they shipped on the ground? Taking them into the air on a plane and back down might have forced the fluid around due to pressure changes. I would suggest packing them carefully in the same manner they arrived to you and put a big fragile label on the outside, then ship it on the ground.

I wouldnt worry about pressure, it will be equal on both sides of the gap and wont create flow.
I just read up on ferrofluid, it's micro particles suspended in an oil, oil as you know has high viscosity until heated.
What probably happened was the shipping box sat in a truck/shipping container in the sunlight and got super hot(think car in a parking lot in summer~130-150 degrees F)this lowered the vis. and caused the speakers which were probably not upright to leak.
When you ship these put a "this side up" sticker on them to prevent this from happening again, and get them insured so if they do leak the shipping company can buy you new ones.
Dont recommend a magnet on the... well anywhere, the fluid is held in place by the magnet/pole piece circuit and you dont want to mess with that.

As an aside, I read that only an extremely small amount of this fluid is used and being an oil how exactly did it ruin the speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.