How to cut the chassis of Seas 27TBFC/G tweeter ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have Seas 27TBFC/G tweeters and a Seas L118RNX/P woofers that are slowly heading toward a Zaph style speaker http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17.html, all be it with an active crossover. Whilst working on the amps, crossovers and cabinets I'd like to put these drivers into some boxes salvaged from some unknown blown up commercial speakers which just happen to have the correct volume for a sealed box, according to WinISD anyway, and more importantly already have the correct size holes in the front.

Now the problem is that the fronts are a bit smaller than the Zaph box and the holes too close together. Unless I can cut an arc out of the tweeters chassis so that I can fit it really snug up to the woofer. Which sounds like a good idea anyway, sound sources closer together and all.

Are you still with me here ? OK so my question is what is a good way to cut a nice clean bite out of the side of the tweeter chassis, which is made of glass fibre reinnforced plastic, such that it is the same curvature as the woofer chassis rim. Am I going to be supprised when the tweeter snaps in half or by some other mishap ? How to make it look nice ?

Can anyone tell me their experience of doing this before I murder a tweeter ?

I'll bet you could make a decent cut with a jewelers saw or a coping saw. Turn the blade so the teeth allow a cut on the pull stroke. This keeps the blade stiffer and allows you to get closer to your scribed cut line. (Clamped to your worktable and cutting arm underneath.)

1. Unscrew the faceplate from your tweeter.
2. Route the baffle that you will be using for the speaker, making the complete cut out for the tweeter, but only route the mounting flange area for the woofer, don't cut the hole out (so that there is still a pivot point in the middle).
3. Secure the tweeter faceplate to the baffle where the tweeter will be mounted (so that it is hanging over into the woofer area).
4. Place the router with circle jig into the woofer area and retrace the mounting flange cut.
5. Make sure you are using a sharp carbide-tipped bit, go slowly, run the router at a little slower speed if you have one with a speed control, always wear goggles and a mask.

Note: I use a spiral upcut for routing circles, you may want to switch to a straight fluted bit for this, don't forget to adjust the circle size on the jig if you use a larger bit.

This should make a clean cut, but you can always clean it up with some sandpaper.

P.S. I just re-read this and noticed that you said the holes were already cut. You can always make a jig out of a scrap of wood and screw it in place where the woofer goes. Just cut the wood to the same size as the woofer and drill holes where the mouting holes are.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.