ARTA

I was using Maudio Transit, it worked ok but willing to upgrade. Selling my Bruel Kjaer 2610 with mic and computer. Upgrading to 2690.

Attachments

• 68544CB4-6FF2-4EB5-BE7D-FF8934256FC0.jpeg
    68544CB4-6FF2-4EB5-BE7D-FF8934256FC0.jpeg
    824.9 KB · Views: 293
What about Maya22 usb - anyone?

For me Maya22 USB wasn't success. While very convenient it tended to oscillate after some usage time in 24/96 mode. Perhaps particular unit or batch was defective. When I noticed that, it was too late to send for replacement. ESI support was dead silent after inquiry.

I'm happy with Roland Quad Capture. Loopback measurement did show that it has linear bandwidth up to 88kHz (in 192kHz mode), which was quite a surprise.

For me Maya22 USB wasn't success. While very convenient it tended to oscillate after some usage time in 24/96 mode. Perhaps particular unit or batch was defective. When I noticed that, it was too late to send for replacement. ESI support was dead silent after inquiry.

I'm happy with Roland Quad Capture. Loopback measurement did show that it has linear bandwidth up to 88kHz (in 192kHz mode), which was quite a surprise.

Plus Roland Quad Capture has SPDIF digital output. If your rig has digital input, one A/D conversion can be eliminated, which often is an audible benefit. Easily switchable from analog to digital output in both ARTA and Windows. Supports ASIO.

I bought a Behringer UMC202HD and the overall (loopback) distortion is higher than expected due to the input stage of the preamp. Then I've got a Foscusrite Scarlett Solo for maybe $50 used, and all is right.
The input stage of the preamp is a balanced input, if you feed it with an unbalanced signal like the output in a loopback test 2nd harmonic distortion will be higher.

So either use it with unbalanced input signals as it is designed for, or use the insert input on the rear which is unbalanced and bypasses the preamps.

You can get perfect loopback performance using the insert input with distortion that is too low to measure. (For example if using an impedance measuring jig)

It's the UMC204HD that has the inserts; sadly I didn't look carefully enough, cheaped out on this deal and got the 202 that doesn't have them. But the Focusrite is fine now.
Ah ok, bad news.

The insert inputs on my UMC204HD work great with line level unbalanced signals. No measurable distortion (below the noise floor) and noise levels are lower as well.

The pre-amp inputs work fine with a balanced signal - for example a balanced XLR microphone or for measuring crossover outputs I use a small audio transformer to isolate and convert to balanced.

The pre-amp inputs are servo balanced so do work with an unbalanced signal but this generates quite significant 2nd harmonic distortion - not enough to be audible, but enough to make it no use as a measurement tool for distortion measurements.