Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

ARTA
ARTA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2019, 06:36 PM   #711
DBMandrake is offline DBMandrake  Scotland
diyAudio Member

What sound card do you have ? And are you using an ASIO or directsound driver ? Are you sure the sound card natively supports 192Khz sample rate ?

If it doesn't, it will be sampling at a lower sample rate and then software upsampling it to 192Khz. This will cause a reduction in quality and can result in aliasing artefacts.

You need to confirm what sample rates are supported by the sound card in hardware, and don't go above the highest sample rate supported in hardware by the card as it's important to avoid any intermediate software resampling in the sound driver or windows.

Almost certainly the issue is the sound card or it's driver. I use 192Khz 24 bit all the time with ARTA and don't see artefacts like this.
Old 14th January 2019, 12:24 AM   #712
dch53 is offline dch53  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
What sound card do you have ? And are you using an ASIO or directsound driver ? Are you sure the sound card natively supports 192Khz sample rate ?
Thanks Simon. I'm using a Juli@ card that I no longer use in my music server. It does indeed natively support 192kHz sampling rate. From what I've read, the Juli@ seems to be widely used in this role.

I'm testing a sound card interface at the moment.

It occurred to me that I should redo the loopback test at 192kHz/131072 and as you can see below, the harmonics look pretty much the same, albeit with a slightly lower noise floor, so maybe they're contributed by the sound card.

From what you're saying, I should use the highest sampling rate my sound card supports.

Varying FFT size appears to produce different results too. Should I be using the maximum FFT size also?

I thought ARTA used the right channel as reference to cancel out sound card contributions?

Regards, Dave.
Loopback -30dB Fs 192kHz FFT 131072.png

ARTAHide this!Advertise here!