Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

ARTA
ARTA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2018, 11:27 PM   #621
DBMandrake is offline DBMandrake  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMat View Post
Hi,
there is no difference in how ARTA record noise and swept sine.
The problem can be with a driver or with laptop.

I've not tested Behringer UMC204HD. Does it have control panel to adjust sampling rate?
It has a control panel which will display the currently active sample rate but not set it. In windows it is set to default to 192Khz 24 bit, however it is not the default windows sound device so ARTA is the only device to access it.

It is configured to allow exclusive access to applications.

I found it only crashes with a 262k sequence length, smaller sequence lengths are OK.

After your suggestions I think I have found the issue. The sound card control panel allows adjustment of "USB streaming mode", which seems to be a latency adjustment, as well as "ASIO buffer size". Buffer size was set to Auto. See screenshots.

With USB Streaming mode set to the default "Safe", ASIO Buffer size set to the default "Auto", crashes were occurring.

With ASIO buffer size manually set to 4096, 8192 or 16384 samples it appears to work fine on the swept sine sweep without ARTA crashing.

If I try to choose a value below 4096, it reports "The selected ASIO buffer size is too small for the current USB streaming mode and the current sampling rate". Strangely no setting for buffer size except "Auto" causes ARTA to crash.

Do you have any recommendations for streaming latency and ASIO buffer size in general or does a higher latency and/or higher buffer size mode not cause any issues with ARTA ?
Attached Images
File Type: png streaming mode.png (16.3 KB, 480 views)
File Type: png asio buffer.png (25.6 KB, 415 views)
Old 12th September 2018, 10:16 PM   #622
iMat is offline iMat  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Simon,
I usually recommend buffer size from 256 to 2048 samples (the larger sampling rate dictates larger buffers), but it seems that your card has larger latency than is usual in ASIO practice.

Ivo
Old 13th September 2018, 07:15 AM   #623
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
Strangely no setting for buffer size except "Auto" causes ARTA to crash.
It's good you found the culprit -- but it's strange that the problem depends on the signal type. Sweep crashes, noise does not crash. How would the soundcard / driver worry about signal shapes in such a way?
Old 13th September 2018, 07:17 AM   #624
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMat View Post
Simon,
I usually recommend buffer size from 256 to 2048 samples (the larger sampling rate dictates larger buffers), but it seems that your card has larger latency than is usual in ASIO practice.
Hi Ivo,

Thanks. The interface does have 7 different latency settings from "Low Latency" to "Extra Safe" as depicted in the screenshots, the default setting of "Safe" which I am currently using is the second from highest latency setting.

Unfortunately Behringer don't state the latency in ms for each setting instead using an ambiguous descriptive word. From what I've read online the lowest latency setting is approx 1ms while the highest is about 30ms, so it is probably about 25ms at the moment.

I can easily reduce the buffer size to 2048 samples and then reduce the latency setting as well until it no longer complains that the buffer is too small, but I'm not sure a lower latency provides any benefit unless I am using the RTA mode ? I generally only use impulse measurement mode.

Lower latency modes increase the risk of dropouts if the laptop/OS is slow ? Would ARTA provide any indication of an error if a dropout occurred or would there simply be a random glitch in the impulse recording if this happened ?
Old 13th September 2018, 09:10 AM   #625
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
It's good you found the culprit -- but it's strange that the problem depends on the signal type. Sweep crashes, noise does not crash. How would the soundcard / driver worry about signal shapes in such a way?
I can only assume it's something to do with differences in the recording length as the periodic noise and swept sine methods do not playback/record for the same length of time. But it does still seem strange. I don't know what the Auto setting is doing because it does not crash with any of the manual buffer size settings... a buffer that is too small does corrupt the audio dramatically but still does not crash.
Old 13th September 2018, 02:16 PM   #626
diyAudio Member

Hi Simon,
you guess right, swept sine acquisition system uses double length than noise acquisition. That problem has occures only on 256 k signal length, (acquisition length 512 k) and sampling rate 192kHz.
In ASIO "auto mode" ARTA sets ASIO buffers to 1k length. Obviously it is not enough for this card as you've got report "The selected ASIO buffer size is too small for the current USB streaming mode and the current sampling rate" if it was lower than 4k. So you must use manual mode ? Nothing strange here!
Who crashes: ARTA, ASIO, or windows process thread system I don't know.
The problem arose with newer sound cards that use 24-bit transfer even at 192kHz.
I will certainly in new ARTA version add new checking of required buffer size.
Thanks for report.
Ivo
Old 16th October 2018, 10:06 PM   #627
JMB is offline JMB  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Ivo,
Are you planning an update soon?
Thanks,
Old 18th October 2018, 11:24 AM   #628
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB View Post
Hi Ivo,
Are you planning an update soon?
Thanks,
I hope new version will be ready in couple of months.

Ivo
Old 19th October 2018, 05:11 AM   #629
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Old 20th October 2018, 02:23 PM   #630
nigelb63 is offline nigelb63  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default newbie in need of advice

I'm a newbie when it comes to measuring. I have a tascam u122 and am currently waiting on a ecm8000 to be delivered. could any of you point me in the direction or provide a block diagram of how i connect my sound card in conjunction with speakers, any set up values I might need.

Thanks in advance,
Nigel

ARTAHide this!Advertise here!