ARTA

Well, I did some fiddling with STEPS but I do not find it as intuitive as Arta is.
Moreover it does not contain a spectrum analyzer the way Arta has but you can measure the THD I noticed but did not (yet) figure out how to do this.
My first impression of STEPS.....

When measuring distortion vs frequency in Steps, you can pick thd and individual harmonics, 2nd - D2, 3rd - D3, etc..

Certainly you can draw the cursor to any desired position and the actual level is displayed. I do not understand your problem.

For exact cursor positioning you should stop the measurement- and if you are close enough you move from FFT-bin to bin with the cursor keys. Then restart measurement again.

Will try this tomorrow, thanks for the info.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Question about Full Dual Channel Measurement with Arta.

The external sound card I am using is a Motu M4.

Is there any reason I could split the speaker out from the amp going to the speaker and feed it back into the interface and use that for dual channel measurement without using an Arta Box?

The line level in can be attenuated with a knob on the interface, and as long as I monitored the level in and keep the amp below a few watts, would this work and be safe?

The ARTA jig app note includes zener diodes for "safety" but I omit them, not necessary unless you're prone to doing silly things. Is it less safe? Sure, but several years in all my gear is still in perfectly good working order.

You really don't need a fancy jig in a box, it's just a couple resistors and some scrap wire really. 950 Ohm and 5500 Ohm provides about 17dB of attenuation before hitting the audio device input, provided your input impedance is 10-20kOhm. That's not insignificant, so if you want to rely solely on the input gain control, you may find it very sensitive and easy to overload, and higher potential for damage of a nice audio interface, that could have been prevented with 50 cents of parts. The choice is yours, wonders of DIY :)

I am just getting started with ARTA, and I have a few questions. I have tried to search this thread, but I was not successful in finding what I was looking for.

I want to properly make an impulse response measurement with swept-sine signal. The purpose of this is to measure far field gated frequency response and phase of loudspeaker drivers. I am using the "semi-dual channel setup" as shown in Fig 1.8 of the ARTA manual.

The sampling frequency of my audio interface 48k, so in the "Impulse Response Measurement" dialog box I set the sampling rate to 48000.

1) I understand that the FFT block size needs to be 2x the swept sine length. Does ARTA automatically make them compatible? Or do I need to set FFT block size to be 2X swept sine length?

2) What is considered a "good value" or a "best practice" value for FFT block size and swept sine length when making far field gated driver measurements?

3) My ARTA installation defaults to IR Window = "Uniform" and Signal Window = "Hanning". Are these settings appropriate?

Thanks !

Jim

Duration of IR measurement with swept sine excitation

Hi Jim,

When you measure IR with swept sine you have to choose the length in samples of resulting IR. The choice of length is not critical as long as time duration of IR is larger than measurement room reverberation time.

During the measurement ARTA treats swept sine signal as nonperiodic signal, and record possible signal decay after the excitation stops. Practically in analysis ARTA uses FFT size that is double of proposed IR length.

Best,
Ivo

I am just getting started with ARTA, and I have a few questions. I have tried to search this thread, but I was not successful in finding what I was looking for.

I want to properly make an impulse response measurement with swept-sine signal. The purpose of this is to measure far field gated frequency response and phase of loudspeaker drivers. I am using the "semi-dual channel setup" as shown in Fig 1.8 of the ARTA manual.

The sampling frequency of my audio interface 48k, so in the "Impulse Response Measurement" dialog box I set the sampling rate to 48000.

1) I understand that the FFT block size needs to be 2x the swept sine length. Does ARTA automatically make them compatible? Or do I need to set FFT block size to be 2X swept sine length?

2) What is considered a "good value" or a "best practice" value for FFT block size and swept sine length when making far field gated driver measurements?

3) My ARTA installation defaults to IR Window = "Uniform" and Signal Window = "Hanning". Are these settings appropriate?

Thanks !

Jim
Always use an Hann(ing) window. A good start is 25%.
Uniform (boxed/rectangular) windows are totally useless when it comes down to measurements with reflection. Those type are only usable with very strong impulses without any reflections, or reflections extremely small compared to the impulse. Or they can be used with continuous signals.

The window size depends on the reflections you're measuring.
FFT block size is not very critical in ARTA

I'll try again here.
With ARTA I have a fundamental problem, I can't get decent acoustic phase curves.
Why is the phase so wrapped?
I really can't understand, would anyone give me a tip please ?, thanks.

Cattura.jpg

Img.png