ARTA

Wideband signals in ARTA

Hi Ivo, would be to something cut off frequency in sweep generator?
for example, i am thinking maybe when measuring tweeter, fr or distortion...

ARTA measures frequency response with wideband signals that garantee high S/N on all frequencies.
In acoustical environments almost always there are higher noise at low frequencies and we prefer using pink noise or log swept sine signals.
Sometimes, i.e. when measuring tweeters, we want less energy at low frequencies - to protect tweeter - then white signals: mls, noise or linear swept sine can be used.
In both cases excitation signals must be wideband one.
If you want to measure in restricted fr. range use program STEPS.

Ivo

Ivo, which model of Limp is best in practical use, L2R, L3R or L2RK. It appears that the best results are obtained L2RK, but in your paper you write that L2R and L3R model is preferable in standard circuit analysis software.
Thank you.

It depends on which simulation software you use, or maybe you do simulations by programming circuit equations. I do not use ready made simulation software. I rather write simulation programs in Matlab language. In that case L2RK model can be incorporated in circuit analysis, as model of choice. For standard circuit simulation software, that use only frequency independent L,C,R elements you may use L3R model.
Do not forget to check if you can use measured impedance data. It is the best option.
Ivo

It depends on which simulation software you use, or maybe you do simulations by programming circuit equations. I do not use ready made simulation software. I rather write simulation programs in Matlab language. In that case L2RK model can be incorporated in circuit analysis, as model of choice. For standard circuit simulation software, that use only frequency independent L,C,R elements you may use L3R model.
Do not forget to check if you can use measured impedance data. It is the best option.
Ivo
Thank Ivo for answer
I use only classic LSPCad 5.25, I dont work with circuit equations.

Ivo, thank you for update...
I wanted to ask, is the point detection of a higher harmonic distortion, F6 and more?

It was may observation that Farina method for distortion estimation is reliable for 2nd, 3rd and 4-th harmonics for most sound cards and in all acoustical environments. I can let ARTA estimate 5th or 6th harmonics but it requires higher quality sound cards for electronic measurements and low noise acoustical measurement.

Best,
Ivo

It was may observation that Farina method for distortion estimation is reliable for 2nd, 3rd and 4-th harmonics for most sound cards and in all acoustical environments. I can let ARTA estimate 5th or 6th harmonics but it requires higher quality sound cards for electronic measurements and low noise acoustical measurement.

Best,
Ivo

I understand, I think that's how it should be with the quality of cards very well, until you can feel some integrated, but the environment is obviously difficult ...
Question, icon to distortion in the Arta?
Thank you

hey guys.
I'm looking for someone who has ARTA with a license (commercial version). actually I'm testing a custom plugin on my website that can display live graphs so everyone could track the frequency response or whatever measurement interactively. a commercial version of ARTA is able to export > CSV which could be used here.
thanks,

hey guys.
I'm looking for someone who has ARTA with a license (commercial version). actually I'm testing a custom plugin on my website that can display live graphs so everyone could track the frequency response or whatever measurement interactively. a commercial version of ARTA is able to export > CSV which could be used here.
thanks,
The free version exports CSV too. Do you just want random CSV files or what? I have a bunch, but you could also just go to the parts express website and download the ones they have on the product pages for most of the newer Dayton drivers (all of the "designer" driver series, for example).

Which usb soundcard?

I wonder if anyone has experience of using a Maplin HD 7.1 USB Sound Card with ARTA? It seems to fit the bill (24bit/192khz/108dbSNR/ASIO driver) and is available fairly inexpensively (£50). It appears to use a CMedia CM8828 DAC chip. I'm looking around for a suitable usb soundcard and this looks like it might be ok. I'd be using it with windows 7. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Swept sine is not good for impedance measurements?

Ivo, question, what do you think of measurements impedance with sweep signal. I believe that it has some advantages, of course, in terms of resolution, the stepped sine is of course better. It also has some major drawback?
Thank you for answer

It is not only my opinion that swept sine is not good excitation signal for loudspeaker impedance measurement. The explanation lies in bad rejection of impulsive noise, which is very often present (as loudspeaker acts as microphone). The effect of impulsive noise appears in measured impedance data similar as resonance behavior of driver.

Best,
Ivo

Thank you for answer...
Last time I tried to compare, stepped sine, pink PN and sweep. The best results I achieved with stepped sine, very similar sweep, sweep was obviously faster, but the worst periodic PN, which was expected. Only when more powerful and several times the repetition and the results were averaged asynchronous periodic PN similar to the stepped sine. Increasing volume resulted in distortion and deformation

Thank you for answer...
Last time I tried to compare, stepped sine, pink PN and sweep. The best results I achieved with stepped sine, very similar sweep, sweep was obviously faster, but the worst periodic PN, which was expected. Only when more powerful and several times the repetition and the results were averaged asynchronous periodic PN similar to the stepped sine. Increasing volume resulted in distortion and deformation

Hi,
Keep in mind that all three signals are good for specific measurement environment.

- Swept sine is best signal for fast indoor measurement with low impulsive noise present. Generally, averaging should be avoided.
- PN Pink noise is excellent signal for rejecting impulsive noise but averaging is necessary to reach dynamic range of swept sine excitation. For example, I have got better reverberation time measurement with pink noise in airport check-in halls.
- Stepped sine gives us an order of magnitude better measurement S/N, but it is not applicable to impulse response measurements. It is also best for loudspeaker impedance measurement.

As you see, all three signals are necessary.

Best,
Ivo

Hi,
Keep in mind that all three signals are good for specific measurement environment.

- Swept sine is best signal for fast indoor measurement with low impulsive noise present. Generally, averaging should be avoided.
- PN Pink noise is excellent signal for rejecting impulsive noise but averaging is necessary to reach dynamic range of swept sine excitation. For example, I have got better reverberation time measurement with pink noise in airport check-in halls.
- Stepped sine gives us an order of magnitude better measurement S/N, but it is not applicable to impulse response measurements. It is also best for loudspeaker impedance measurement.

As you see, all three signals are necessary.
Best,
Ivo

Thank you Ivo... I compared the signals to measure impedance under normal conditions, there I went aforementioned results...
Ivo has one question, the best signal to measure in standard, rather small, little fill room.