Open Baffled 3.5 TMMW or MTMW?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've been reading some threads about open baffled speakers and now I can no longer control the urge to design and build one myself.

I'm thinking of a 2.5 design on an open baffle with two 5" midbass units and a tweeter. One midbass will be crossed at appr. 4500Hz to the tweeter with a first order series crossover (I've heard plenty of good things about this XO, and I figured this would be a good time to try).
The second midbass will kick in below appr. 400Hz to compensate for baffle losses.

The whole will be actively crossed to a woofer in a sealed cabinet at the bottom of the baffle.

The main concern I still have is the arrangement of the mid-high section. Can someone help me out with the pro's and cons of the MTM and TMM arrangements? Maybe some other comments before I start building?

Thanks in advance,

Emiel

Thanks for the answers!

infinia said:
Hi
I vote for MMT since the crossover is not symetric.
Try it both ways with out fancy crossover first.
Easy right.
I thought MTM was best for a long time, but I have a little doubt now.
Why do you have doubts now? Can you hear differences?

sreten said:
As your discussing a 2.5 way then the issues are really
normal woofer tweeter on top compared to inverted.

MTM vs TMM is usually 2 way vs 2.5 way issues.

:)/sreten.
I was just checking some loudspeaker kits, and indeed a 2 way is almost always configured as MTM and a 2.5 way as TMM.

Maybe somebody knows some info on the web on the differences between MTM and TMM?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.