Need a great 2 way project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a couple woodworking buddies wanting to build some speakers. I do a lot of electronics, so our team is formed. We're in need of suggestions on an awesome two way project. Maybe a ribbon??? Maybe just something classic that can image like crazy! We're open to any suggestions.

We don't have any parts or preconceptions on what we want to do. Our desire is hi-res, great imaging and not a hung cabinet. Smaller box preferrable, but that's undecided. Stand mount not floorstanding.

Maybe a 5 to 6.5" driver? Good punchy bass....

We want something to be proud of. We might make at least three pairs, so a proven design is best.

This is a popular 2-way project, not excactly cheap but they sound great indeed. Just scroll down to the Response 2.5 Clone papers;) Dont get disturbed, on the way down:D I have a pair of those myself, and never felt sorry about building them! The originals had 5 stars of 5 possible all over the world in the reviews.:D Thats a sure bet!! You will love them:)

Steen:cool:
http://home1.stofanet.dk/troels.gravesen/

Here is a picture of mine, they are actually the 2.95 clones! I didnt want to mess with disassembling the tweeters:xeye: I veneered mine with Elmtree.

Steen:)

Edit. Just in case you didnt know; the brand is ProAc. You can hit them up on the "net". "ProAc Response 2.5" is the correct name. The originals cost something like just under 5000usd:cool: here in Denmark.

Attachments

• anlaeg_sm.jpg
    anlaeg_sm.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 879
small boxes...

well looking at your requirements, perhaps the Response 1 clone (ProAc) would be suitable.

Troels R1S clone

Again not cheap. Do you have a budget in mind for the drivers and crosssovers? Perhaps theatwoulkd dictate the choices. Also, be very carefull of the companion componenets used . ProAcs (and I assume all their clones) are ruthlessly revealing to poor amplification and sources.

Proac clones

I have always heard good things about the ProAc 2.5 and would love to have a pair. But floorstanders probably won't be our first project. I think the 1SC is more like it.

Not sure of budget. If we ignore woodworking cost, around $500 a pair for drivers/Xovers would be nice. Even below that if possible.

thanks for all the suggestions so far, keep them coming.

And I appreciate the need for quality ancillary gear.....

Hi Nanook. Must have overlooked the small box condition:) Or I didnt put too much emphasize to it! Now I see, Stand mount not floorstand;) Well, I actually have a pair of those ProAc S1 clones also:D They reside in my workroom. As far as imaging goes they are better than the 2.5's. For bottomend they are not as good as opposed to the 2.5's. Still the bass performance is pretty impressive, considering the box size!! Both set of speakers are very good indeed:) Have a look at one of my S1 clones with electronic circuits in a fancy bowl on top of it:D :D My trusted lab powersupply is underneath:D :D

Attachments

• proac_1s.jpg
    proac_1s.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 769
http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/wrnch2/rawhtserieskits.html
Raw Acoustics HT6 kit.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Highpower handling with a ribbon, bass tuned to 29hz
HT6 kit includes
:: 2- Extremis 6.8 drivers
:: 2- Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeters
:: Sonicap capacitors, Solen Inductors,Mills resistors
:: Terminal cups,ports,wire,screws,damping material
:: 2 CNC cut Baffles with Magnet grills Included
:: cabinet constuction plans,crossover layout plans
:: build your own cabinets.Using our CNC pre machined front baffles (included)
all driver holes pre cut flush mounted with magnets installed for the magentic grills which are included in the kit
:: Recommended cabinet dimensions:
Ported
.75cft cabinet tuned to 29hz 17" X 10" X 12.5" 3/4"MDF
$589.99 usd.

Includes front baffle CNC machined with driver holes pre-cut.

Amazing woofer in that kit. Speakers tunned to 29Hz.

Tommytube,

Here is a Dennis Murphy designed Seas W15CY001/Raven R1 ribbon tweeter design. So far only 2 of us has built it but we are very pleased with the results. So I wouldn't categorize it as a proven design but the designer is certainly proven and he was happy with it. Great imaging and detail but the drivers are quite pricey. They also like a lot of power-30 wpc is not enough.

The other builder has added Dennis Murphy's Peerless 10" bass unit for a full range down to 28Hz. The 2-Way enclosure is tuned to 48Hz. Unfortunately neither of us is near Eugene OR for a listen.

tn_W15frntbk

For a larger picture and a rather amateur website which has design details http://www.execulink.com/~kandfbuck

Cheers, Fred

I started building speakers with the MurphyBlaster MBOW1 which has 2-Way and 3-Way configurations. I don't think that you can go wrong with them or the Ellis 1801b. You can see them here:

MurphyBlaster.com

Ellis Audio

steenoe said:
This is a popular 2-way project, not excactly cheap but they sound great indeed. Just scroll down to the Response 2.5 Clone papers;) Dont get disturbed, on the way down:D I have a pair of those myself, and never felt sorry about building them! The originals had 5 stars of 5 possible all over the world in the reviews.:D Thats a sure bet!! You will love them:)

http://home1.stofanet.dk/troels.gravesen/

And why don't you have your own speaker company ? WOAH is all i Have to say such nice speakers i wonder if i should email you and ask you for some advice is this allowed ?

cfbuck said:
Tommytube,

Here is a Dennis Murphy designed Seas W15CY001/Raven R1 ribbon tweeter design. So far only 2 of us has built it but we are very pleased with the results. So I wouldn't categorize it as a proven design but the designer is certainly proven and he was happy with it. Great imaging and detail but the drivers are quite pricey. They also like a lot of power-30 wpc is not enough.

The 45 degree response curve can't be right can it?

Hi Vikash,

I have no measurement facility or xover skills-I'm a woodworker. The measurement curves were sent to me by Dennis Murphy and I believe that they are correct. They are two different gif files. Please note that they are from the 3-Way design measurements. His computer crashed while he was doing this design and he couldn't retrieve the 2-Way files.

I assume that you are questioning the response graph because the trace shows no dropoff at 45 degress. Dennis was astounded at the off-axis response of the Raven. He has not tested any other ribbon like it off-axis. As I recall he found no measurable difference to 80 degress off-axis.

Dennis is very familiar with ribbons as he is the xover designer for the Jim Salk Veracity HT1 www.salksound.com which uses the Seas W18 and the Aurum Cantus G2. This design attempted to have similar sound characterisics to the Veracity but I needed a smaller enclosure (SAF) and therefore selected the narrower W15. So that the speaker would not be a duplicate but smaller version of Salk's Veracity, the Raven was chosen instead of the G2.

Cheers, Fred

cfbuck said:
HI assume that you are questioning the response graph because the trace shows no dropoff at 45 degress. Dennis was astounded at the off-axis response of the Raven. He has not tested any other ribbon like it off-axis. As I recall he found no measurable difference to 80 degress off-axis.
Hi Fred, that was precisely it. I'll have to take a closer look at the Ravens. ;)

before you run off and build a speaker with ribbon drivers look at the ribbon tweeter comparison at www.zaphaudio.com.

Dayton rs180 at aprox $40 measures similar in distortion, and in some cases better, then the seas excel w18 which is one of the very best drivers available. Personally, i cant see why anyone only considering one project and wanting the best bang for buck would consider anything other then a project with the Dayton RS drivers. The modula mT at www.htguide is probably the best implementation of the rs180 in a two driver two way. The modula mtm would probably be better if you can live with the extra size and expense. Still within your budget.

You'll probably find any other drivers that come close in quality to the dayton rs cost many times more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.