Building my first set of speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello there,

I've been following the forum for a bit. I'm interested in making some Loud speakers, mainly for listening to music in my basement den (probably 10'x 20'). I'd like to keep the cost around $200. I listen to a lot of stuff, anything from jazz, to old r&b/soul, drum and bass, that kind of stuff. Size of the speaker is not an issue, will be driven by a denon avr-1802 (80 watts/channel). I don't have a subwoofer.

Any ideas on what kind of speaker would best suit me? Any plans out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated...if there's a 'recipe' out there for me please let me know.

Hope you can help,
Feebz

sdclc126 said:
Take a look at this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/goldenboys/index.html

$67.00 total for parts, before shipping, and not including cabinets.

i would have to give a second vote to this project.

if this is your first speaker building project, i feel its best to just get something under your belt before you try and accomplish anything really great. these speakers will sound alright. they will play music, and they just might have a decent amount of bass to them.

when i first saw the project, i thought "this would be perfect for the first-time speaker builder just looking for a cheap pair of speakers".

chances are, the speaker will cost much beyond the basic "bill of materials". so if you find a project that all the bits and parts cost $180 or whatever, you will spend $300 just on other miscellaneous parts to finish them.

start out with something simple and cheap, and see how it goes. if you like it, and like the results, then you can start moving on to something bigger and better with your new-found knowledge.

Thanks for the replies guys.
The partsexpress kit looks a bit too simple...I have couple sets of 'nice' speakers that I enjoy...Wharfdale, Speakercraft, some Polks....The speakercrafts are my favorite...I don't know the model, but I just enjoy their sound.
Would this kit be comparable, better? To be honest, I want to WOW myself with the speakers I build. Would the partsexpress do this?

I don't mind spending a little time and money for something that I'll really enjoy. The Lyra design looks interesting....looks like something I could do. i've also been considering these t-lines http://www.geocities.com/bunkie21/frontview.html

Would this be suitable for the type of music i listen to?

Sorry, I'm a total freshie when it comes to speaker design, just looking for the best possible design, if it works out well who knows what this'll lead to.

Any ideas?

Hmmm......

The goldenboys seem to have no baffle step and a massive bass peak.

The alternative bass driver should be a better idea, but this still
has a high Qts of 1.44 compared to the almost joke value of 2.1
for the Buyout driver.

The SPL level for the speaker (85dB/W) is pathetic for its size.

The treble quality of piezo's is a joke compared to a decent dome.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I stand by my original post, the GB is not a hifi speaker.
(but with the other bass unit, better than most lash-ups)

:)/sreten.

Feebz said:
i've also been considering these t-lines http://www.geocities.com/bunkie21/frontview.html

Hi,

the T-line cabinet looks OK but there not much design in the rest
of the speaker. Always go for something that the designer has
measured and can show works well. The Bunkie21 for a start
has no baffle step compensation, enough reason to discount it.

Hi,

note the Lyra could be converted into a reflex floorstander,
or with some help from this forum a floorstanding T-line.

Attachments

• d12.jpg
    d12.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 362
Feebz said:
Thanks for the replies guys.
The partsexpress kit looks a bit too simple...I have couple sets of 'nice' speakers that I enjoy...Wharfdale, Speakercraft, some Polks....The speakercrafts are my favorite...I don't know the model, but I just enjoy their sound.
Would this kit be comparable, better? To be honest, I want to WOW myself with the speakers I build. Would the partsexpress do this?

I don't mind spending a little time and money for something that I'll really enjoy. The Lyra design looks interesting....looks like something I could do. i've also been considering these t-lines http://www.geocities.com/bunkie21/frontview.html

Sorry, I'm a total freshie when it comes to speaker design, just looking for the best possible design, if it works out well who knows what this'll lead to. He tends to cross his tweeter way too low. In the Lyra, the xover point from his frequency respond was somewhere down below 1K which is way too low for a 2in tweeter. Unless you want sharp and bright stuffs, you would be better off finding some other design.

Any ideas?

You should think twice before building the Lyra. His speakers tend to sound really bright. I had a chance to build the Eros but it sounds really, really bright such that I ended up listen to the tweeter most of the time. He tends to cross his tweeter way too low. From the respond graph, the 2in tweeter was crossed over at somewhere below 1K which is way too too low. A 2in. tweeter is never supposed to go that low. This is simply a law of physics.
Unless you want bright and harsh stuff, please look somewhere else.

andy2 said:

You should think twice before building the Lyra. His speakers tend to sound really bright. I had a chance to build the Eros but it sounds really, really bright such that I ended up listen to the tweeter most of the time. He tends to cross his tweeter way too low. From the respond graph, the 2in tweeter was crossed over at somewhere below 1K which is way too too low. A 2in. tweeter is never supposed to go that low. This is simply a law of physics.
Unless you want bright and harsh stuff, please look somewhere else.

Hi,

I find your analysis a little simplistic. The Eros was optimised for
listening to on the end of a 300B valve amp chain and voiced
accordingly, I don't know what system you have.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The croosover point of domes very much depends on the electrical
slopes of the crossover. 1KHz is way too low for a 1" dome, not a 2".

You really can't say how low a mid-dome can go without knowing
its excursion capability and by implication distortion vs. frequency.

sreten said:

Hi,

I find your analysis a little simplistic. The Eros was optimised for
listening to on the end of a 300B valve amp chain and voiced
accordingly, I don't know what system you have.

The croosover point of domes very much depends on the electrical
slopes of the crossover. 1KHz is way too low for a 1" dome, not a 2".

You really can't say how low a mid-dome can go without knowing
its excursion capability and by implication distortion vs. frequency.

Have you personally heard the Eros? When you have finally listen to them then we can talk about it.

Sure an 2in may have an excursion ability to go below 1K but how well it can go that low is another matter. Just as a 7in. driver can be used with a 1in. tweeter in a two way system but a 7in. is probably not ideal to handle anything above 2khz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.