bracing a floorstander

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I whant to build a 2.5 way floorstander. I saw all that about 2.5 way system that's been written on this forum.

But, how about braces?
:confused:
how do you calculate them?
where do you place them in a floorstander enclosure?
I saw many projects about this on the web and all enclosure of this type had braces! But nothing about the detailes of brace construction
Thank you, for your patience!
sorry, for my bad written english!

Calcluating braces.... naw, not necessary. If you use a number of braces that couple the panels together, and join together themselves (interlocking braces) you can make an extremely rigid cabinet. Just look at some of the threads where people have built good cabs, and follow their lead. Make sure you account for the change in interior volume with braces included. It's all very dependent upon application. In your instance, I would give the midwoofs separate enclosures, that's a good start, and use at least one shelf brace per enclosure.

if you can get your hands on the last audioXpress magazine there is an excellent article on bracing.

Basically, the general idea was that three vertical braces running the length of the panel significantly decreased panel vibrations. Bracing that divided the panel into square sections had the least benefit.

I suspect that building your panels with a sandwich construction of 3/4" mdf, roofing felt, and masonite, would also help. This is called constrained layer damping and is commonly used for vibration control.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.