Small Monitors, Small Room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm moving out of the house I'm in and into a small apartment in the next few months and I'm looking for a new speaker to suit the new place. I have decided to retire my phase tech towers and finally break into the realm of accurate midrange. Here is the normal information:

Small room, approx. 10'x9', listening distance is about 6' from the front baffle. One wall is half open to the kitchen. Thin drywall, carpeted floors. The room will be treated with OC 703 absorbers and will have a minimum of deflection with the tight space and all.

Double duty requirement but strongly biased toward stereo.

Upstream componets: Denon CD -> digital coax -> Rotel 1066 -> RCA -> Anthem PVA-5 doing 100x5, overall character is slightly on the bright side if I had to call it.

Musical tastes vary from country to drum and bass. The overall goal however is accuracy.

Project budget is approx 350 for all components sans boxes.

I've been to the more commonly linked project sites and have been swayed toward the seas standard line, they seem to offer great performance/price ratios and the tried and tested designs are there to pull from. However, before making a decision I would like to believe that I have not missed anything or misjudged the character of the seas kits like the humble HATTMkIII linked here http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/HATT-III.html and of course, Zaph's L18 project. My concern with the metallic drivers is obviously the sharper nature of my componentry and how it will get along with a slightly forward speaker. I would like to know if there are any smaller sized monitors that would fit into this same category but lay back a little more but still give the accuracy. I like the power response of the small mid boxes and would like to stay under 7" if at all possible.
Additionally, as all apartment dwellers know, neighbor annoyance factor is a big deal and I'm a lover not a fighter:D so I'd like to keep the volume reasonable. That said, how would a small monitor like the above mentioned handle a low power situation? Do the smaller boxes tend to need big power to take off or can I expect great dynamics from the gate?

Lots of questions I know, any info is appreciated, especially if it educates this relative newb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.