Best 15 inch Woofer around 500rms?!?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I like the sub a lot, and it has gotten good reviews all around. Check on car audio forums, home theatre forums and other places. It is a decent 15" woofer for a decent price. If you don't feel like searching forums for reviews, audioreview.com has some reviews:

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_125237_2741crx.aspx

I put the subwoofer in the back of my car (98 honda civic hatchback, and it barely fit) and it powered it with my rockford fosgate punch power 360a2 360w amp , and it rattled every single body panel and gave me a headache. It is excessive bass.

If you want to step up to 1500W, then you can find better subs.

--
Brian

I've been wondering that same thing, . . .

but for my car. I find the bass produced by 10" and 12" subs very unsatisfying. I've been searching for a good 15" subwoofer for my car for a while now. Turns out I went back to my infinity Beta 15 that I had owned 4 years ago. I had a kicker solobaric 15 in my car it sounded very loud and had okay SQ. As well as image dynamics IDQ12, eclipse 8700.8, and ads 310rs.2. I guess you're looking for a home audio sub though.

This sub is very nice http://www.missiondigital.net/product.asp?productid=8 but at 1000 rms and one dude at http://www.speakerbuilding.com/diy/ uses JBL pro 15" subs in his "almightly subwoofers". He seems to be very compitent.

I've never heard it.:confused: But I can say I'm pretty much unimpressed with a lot of the car subs. Did you try asking people what they think at caraudioforum.com?

I've found that the Infinity Beta 15 is the only 15 that doesn't require a lot of power that I like. Eclipse aluminum and titanium I've never heard, but people say they're great for SQ.

I used to have a pair of ADS 310rs.2 subs for my car and they're the best SQ subs I've ever heard, but require 600 watts per sub. And aren't available in 15" subs, just like a lot of great SQ subs; Soundstream exact, and the new one they got now, boston acoustics pro subs, nakamichi and brunch of others I forget. Audiobahn ALUM15 I heard was a great 15" sub for SQ, very big for a 15 too. Requires 1000 watts same as blueprint though.

Why would you want a car sub for home audio? Small size box, maybe?

IMO you can't go wrong with Focal Utopia 38WX, 450W nominal power and 97dB efficiency. And with those red magnets it's a beauty. I own 4 of similar Focal woofers and like 'em a lot.;)
Might be expensive thou.

Attachments

• focal.jpg
    focal.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 627
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Isn't the Kicker aimed at car audio? Drivers in this market are usually overpriced, with somewhat misleading specifications and an emphasis on what they look like as opposed to what they sound like.

If i wanted the best 15" i could get my hands on it would probably be one of these Lambda TDs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The apollo version is the high end.

And a field coil version (i don't know whether these have gotten out the door).

dave

Peter's Focals are pretty sweet too.

reply to best 15 inch around 500w rms

As you did not clearly state whether it was for car,pa,disco or home audio.

As for pa/disco ,Eminence do several speakers in 15 inch [500w rms and above.]

Eminence Kappa 15 rated 450w rms
Eminence Kappa pro 15 rated 500w rms
Eminence Kappa 15lf rated 600w rms
Eminence Kappa pro 15 lf rated 600w rms
Eminence Omega pro 15 rated 800w rms
Eminence Kilomax pro 15 rated 1250w rms
Eminence Magnum 15HO rated 650w rms
Eminence Magnum 15LF rated 700w rms

As for car audio

Audiobahn awt12x 3000w rms [cost £465] each
Also the Atomic ranges of subs are very good if you have the money

As for Home audio

It's hard to get a 15 inch for home audio,but any decent one is expensive,not those cheapskate woofers,with no vented pole piece and tiny magnet.

planet10 said:
Isn't the Kicker aimed at car audio? Drivers in this market are usually overpriced, with somewhat misleading specifications and an emphasis on what they look like as opposed to what they sound like.

Couldn't agree more. I used to have a Infinity Beta 15 and after looking for 4 years to find something that sounded just as good, but a little louder, at a resonable price (another beta is hard to find) I went back to the Infinity 15 cause I found another one. Or maybe it was the one I sold 4 years ago, hope not though. I liked the Kicker S15d also cause it was very loud. Read this off carreview.com from a dude with four of them and it's pretty accurate: "Infact they kind of hurt."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.