Amp5 and John K's Seas L15RLYP / 27TFFC System?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I want to take a shot at building my own audio system. Primarily interested in stereo music listening. I have owned a commercial setup (Kenwood 6.1 HT receiver hooked up with Klipsch RP3/RC3 speakers). This setup is currently in Houston, while I am in Venezuela!

I have already ordered an Amp5 kit (2x60Wx8ohm/2x100Wx4ohm switch mode amplifier based on Tripath TA2022) from 41hz.com.

I have been lurking in these forums for some time and the amount of info available is amazing! I came across John K's Seas L15RLYP / 27TFFC System and it looks like a good starter project. The question is - will the Amp5 and this system make a good combo? My main music listening is centered around Rock/Jazz/R&B. Room dimensions - 20 feet x 10 feet.

Regards,
Kid.

Though I cannot comment on the Amp 5, I will tell you that I've built John's L15RLYP design, and they are fantastic for the music you mention. However, I used the TDFC tweeter, and though it contains only minor diffs, I would say you can either reduce the padding on the resistor, or maybe even remove the shaping circuit on the top end altogether. The tweeter is damned smooth, and IMO, doesn't need to be restricted in output. I am currently powering mine with an Odyssey Audio Stratos Plus, and it's fantastic. However, I am going ot be moving these into the living room shortly, as I powered them with a Panasonic XR70, and it sounded great.

Edit: I just checked out the Amp 5, and I think your room may consume that wattage easily. The extra 3dB of a 100W amp may buy you better dynamics overall. These speakers aren't the most efficient. Just my $0.02.

Even the Sonic Impact can power those speakers to medium volumes, the AMP5 can get far louder than you can bear. I actually have an AMP5, and it gets very loud with even low efficiency speakers. There is no point in getting an even stronger amp because the L15 woofer can't handle that much power anyway. Also, doubling the AMP power only gives you an extra 3 dB in total volume, that is, if your speakers can handle it.

AMP5 in bridged mode can supply 200W into 8ohms if you need it. But the full 200W might destroy the speakers and you'll need two AMP5's.

BTW I would also like to recommend the ModulaMT speaker design, maybe the most accurate speaker in its price range and the Dayton RS180 can take a lot more power than the L15.

I agree to some extent, but the L15 can eat up power like mad, especially given the low sensitivity of that design (though not too low). Those cones love to dance. My room is 195 sq ft, close to his, and I am happy with 150W from the Odyssey, and a little less happy with 80W from a low cost Audiosource Amp One/A that I have for testing. More power is not a bad thing IMO, less power is. But, to each his own...just my opinion.

One thing to keep in mind is that the L15 design is not great when placed close to walls. Just because it's small, doesn't mean you can jam it in corners and such without expecting some boominess in the vocals. Treat them like any other design and give them room to breathe, 18-24" from the rear wall, and at least 24" from the sides.

The ModulaMT sounds interesting as well, where does one find that?

I have heard that the Audiosource AMP One/A doesn't output even half of the rated 80W. People have complained about the loudness of this amp, saying that the NAD 40W amp gets much louder. If this is true, then it means that something with around double that output may just be the ticket. So a true 60W into 8 ohms should be enough.

ModulaMT is a cool project! http://htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php4?f=6
It's a sticky along with other variations of the theme.

I have heard that the Audiosource AMP One/A doesn't output even half of the rated 80W. People have complained about the loudness of this amp, saying that the NAD 40W amp gets much louder. If this is true, then it means that something with around double that output may just be the ticket. So a true 60W into 8 ohms should be enough.

I'm sure the L15 can get extremely loud, but it's long term max power handling is rated at 80W, while bigger speakers can handle more power and get louder.

ModulaMT is a cool project! http://htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php4?f=6
It's a sticky along with other variations of the theme.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.