Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Rubber Surrounds Hardening With Age
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2017, 09:21 PM   #71
nerdorama is offline nerdorama  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smndao View Post
The cause of the problem is that many rubber surrounds are not made from true rubber but plastic that has been mixed with phthalate. And the phthalate will evaporate over time thereby turning the surround in to plastic.

An example of a driver with this surround material is the Vifa P13WH.

Phthalate - Wikipedia
I have these Vifa P13's and the Fs is now in the 120-135 Hz range. Is there anything to be done? Other than use them as midrange?
Thanks,
John
Old 15th October 2017, 02:22 AM   #72
Fernando R is offline Fernando R  United States
diyAudio Member

I have not measured the frequency response of mine. I am concerned that the upper rollof is affected also. They did not sound as good even as midranges the last few years.
Old 15th October 2017, 10:03 PM   #73
1audiohack is offline 1audiohack  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
Source for Butyl rubber surrounds but only up to 8", have not tried them:
Butyl Rubber Surrounds & Kits Archives - Speaker Exchange
I have been using these for over a year and have been 100% delighted with them. I hesitate to use anything else now.

RUBBER SURROUND Kit for JBL 15" Woofers: 4331,4333,4343,4344,4350,4430,4435 | eBay

I first replaced the surrounds on my all original (09-1986) 4435ís. There is a thread on Lansing Heritage with high resolution impedance measurements if your interested.

2234 Butyl Surrounds from Japan

As has been mentioned the surround is an important piece of the system and how it acts as an impedance termination to the frame is important to the overall sound. If a piece of silicone was the answer, all would use it.

Brake fluid was (is?) different in the US and the EU hence the DOT3 (US) vs DOT4 as used in European cars. There are different rubber compounds.

The Lansaloy white foam surrounds apparently worked very well as a motional impedance transformer but the working life was very short. While DOT3 does soften them and many people aparrently use this, one would sure think the performance is severly compromised at this point.

My 4435ís surrounds lasted a full 30 years in the dry relatively clean air outside Las Vegas, not bad at all. I expect the butyl surrounds to outlast me.

Barry.
Old 15th October 2017, 11:00 PM   #74
DavinCarter is offline DavinCarter
diyAudio Member

I have some Audo Concepts 8 inch woofers bought about 1990 that are the same now. I bet it depends on the actual type of rubber used and also possibly environmental factors.
Old 15th October 2017, 11:26 PM   #75
nerdorama is offline nerdorama  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been thinking of installing new butyl surrounds on one of my Vifa's as an experiment and making some measurements. Can't find an exact right size replacement yet. There is a European supplier selling surrounds that are advertised as exact factory replacements for this driver but even if they are a recent manufacture, that only buys me a certain number of years before they harden and I start over. Still hunting for a solution.
John
Old 16th October 2017, 05:30 AM   #76
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smndao View Post
The cause of the problem is that many rubber surrounds are not made from true rubber but plastic that has been mixed with phthalate. And the phthalate will evaporate over time thereby turning the surround in to plastic.

An example of a driver with this surround material is the Vifa P13WH.

Phthalate - Wikipedia
Interesting. I've been whining about my AuraSound drivers. About 75% of them have cracked surrounds.

It was a bit of a mystery, because I have other woofers with rubber surrounds that haven't cracked. The only difference I noticed was that the other ones were paper coned. But your explanation makes sense.
Old 25th October 2017, 11:06 PM   #77
j.michael droke is offline j.michael droke  United States
diyAudio Member

Default T/S different for rubber surround TB, W-4 1320SA,neo

Hi there: Recent posts here on DIYAUDIO, caused me to run WT-3 for a TB W-4 1320SA,
neo driver (the other one is installed on a horn project). I purchased these drivers prior to a WT-3, so I do not have original T/S info. However, I found note book entry (jul12, 2004), T/S from manufacturers data sheet, Fs was 60hz. Wt-3 measured Oct 2017 Fs=101! Seems to add credence to other reports of hardening rubber surrounds (or other aging situations). Note: Also in Oct 2017, I ran WT-3 on a newly purchased Seas driver, where the info published from Seas was Fs=31hz and WT-3 was amazingly 30.94! and other T/S was very close to published Spec. Hope this adds to the general data to the subject of driver aging. ...regards, Michael

Rubber Surrounds Hardening With AgeHide this!Advertise here!