Rubber Surrounds Hardening With Age

1. So in the old days they lowered the resonance of the centering tissue washer (dynamic state) ....

2. This is the spider itself. Long time does not apply.

Attachments

• вырезанные отв&#10.jpg
    вырезанные отв&#10.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 218
  • spider.jpg
    spider.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 222
i have some unused tweeters from vifa and seas, all neo magnets, where the magnetic oils has harden and the domes can no longer move. some day i will try to clean the voice coils and the magnet gaps

There is nothing difficult. When the old Seas H254 was brought to me, I easily disassembled, cleaned the old ferromagnetic fluid, poured the new one into the slot and easily assembled the tweeter.

I've been noticing for several years now that some woofers with rubber surrounds
end up having the spiders with significant sag, about 1/8". This was on all the SPICA
TC-50 woofers I have, 6 of them. I also see it on Celestion SL6 s both in a set. I'm
not sure what these are made from, the later SPICA woofers might have gone to PVC.

Anyone tried CaiKLeen?: Is there a chemist in the group?

Also, I once used WD40 on some rubber household parts that were sticking only to
find that the rubber expanded, probably due to the solvents. I wonder if this might
work to expand and soften those "rubber" surrounds. A last resort I suppose.

Attachments

• CaliKleen.jpg
    CaliKleen.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I usually replace the hardened surrounds, but I have heard of people using oil of wintergreen to restore rubber surrounds..but it is toxic when ingested, so you wouldn't want to use it where children or pets might get in contact with it.
I think any petroleum based rubber treatment is probably only temporary anyway.