Building ur own loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is Ted Listening? (sorry Poobar - not a pun!) I'll copy you in on a recent email & you can work out the exchange differences yourself: www.foreignbrides.com :smash: oops, sorry; seemed too good to miss... ahem:

Dear Mr Clark,
Many thanks for your e-mail enquiry and interest in our products.
We quote as requested: 8 x JORDAN JX92S loudspeaker drive units @ £72 = £
Carriage (Amtrak)
= £ 13.00
V.A.T. @ 17.5%
= £ 103.08
Total
= £ 692.08

The JX53 driver has been discontinued, to be replaced by the JXr6 (Please
see our website)
www.ejjordan.co.uk .
We quote:
8 x JORDAN JXr6 @ £50.40 (10% discount)
= £ 403.20
Carriage (Amtrak)
= £ 13.00
V.A.T.@ 17.5%
= £ 72.84
Total
= £ 489.04

Please contact us again for further information.

Kindest regards,

Denise P.Jordan.

-So I'd say, not too dear at all. I was doing some math the other day & if your SPL output isn't that important you can go REALLY low with these & a good amp.;)

Wellll... I take the philosophical standpoint: euphony falls in the category of aesthetisism; aesthetics is all about attractiveness, looking or sounding good (AV-you dig?:D !). It is surely wise to pontificate all of the most and least apparent virtues of relative beauty, so long as if in certain instances you don't touch:smash:

Ancient Chinese proverb: "Man who go to bed with itchy bum, wake up with smelly finger!" Let that be a lesson to us all...:angel:

idarwin,

this one

http://206.13.113.199/ncdiyaudio/mark/RS225_RS28A_updates/dayton_reference_rs225.htm

or this one

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=13154&page=1&pp=35

Since they came out the Dayton RS drivers have been outperforming even some of the most revered drivers but are about the quarter of the price of the competitors. These have been well tested and I havn't really heard anyone dissenting from its admirers.

The drivers above are both 2 ways. The first one is with an 8 inch driver and the second with a 7.

I think either one would be good for you. You'll have to read the threads and try and determine if one suits you more. Since they're two ways they shouldn't be too hard to build or you could use the partsexpress cabinets.

You'd probably have a hard time finding anything better and if you did it wouldn't be by much. If you need more bass extension there are some designs using two mids in a mid-tweeter-mid configuration. One is by the designer of the second speaker above.
The Natalie P on the same forum as the modula MT is supposed to be less expensive with the same drivers.

Dont spend too much especially if this is your first project. Once you get a good speaker built you should look at the rest of your system.

Good luck.

First, I have to thank you all of you for your support.

Now let´s answer one by one:

Jezz:

1st. Topic:

¿How do I meassure loudness? I have a 120RMS Amp, so I guess the max I´ll go with it´s something like 75% of that. Usually i don´t go further than 35%.

2nd Topic:

If I can do the job with $500 then that´s great news!!! The max I can spend is 1000, but if we can do it with less, then great!

Cal:

I don´t have a preference between treble, mid, and bass. I like accurate sound.

Nemo:

No problem!. You are right!!!! I´m an amateur in this field, and I don´t know how to express exactly what I want. The auditioning idea is great, but here It´s REALLY hard to find a place to do that. I mean, they have the right equipment, but they don´t usually let you test every loudspeaker.

I think I need to read a little about speakers. I might learn something :p

kifeinthesink:

Thank you! You are right. I´ll begin with a cheaper choice and try to make an experience with that.

Now last question for all of you. Does anyone know the Harman Kardon 3040 Receiver. I have that one.

http://www.harmankardon.com/product...&Language=SPA&cat=REC&prod=HK3480/230&sType=C

If I missed someone, I apologize.

Thank you again,

Ezequiel! : )

Personally, im not familiar with those amps, except that I've seen them around. Im sure they're decent and likely to have enough power.

Dont worry too much about it right now. Once you've built something and put it into your system, especially if its an accurate loudspeaker like the ones I suggested above, you'll start to find out things about your system you hadn't noticed before. You might find yourself wanting to build one of the many excellent amplifier designs out there, some of which are quite managable for someone with no electronics experience (like the gainclones and their many incarnations). Or you may find you want to upgrade your source, or try different speaker types. On the other hand, you may dislike diyaudio. Its not for everyone.

Enjoy the discovery process and the tremendous satifaction that comes from doing it yourself. There is an ocean of information out there.

David

kifeinthesink is right, and although i now prefer three ways, i would seriously advise you to go with a two way that you can turn into a three way on a later basis, by adding stereo subs

RS drivers sure are a very good value, although they're not the best you can find
The XG18 is also a very good value, better harmonic distortion in the midrange than the RS but a little worse in the bass
tests of theses drivers at Zaphaudio 6.5" drivers test

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.