Speaker "QUIZ" name brand&Type

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Speaker "QUIZ" name brand&Type

Hi everyone,

this is my first posting.

Here is a little „quiz“ for you. Does anyone know this speaker below? It’s a 15“ Speaker, used in a 15/1,5“ Box. Have you seen this kind of speaker before? What Brand is it?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I’m thankfull for any Information.

Best wishes

Chris

PS: Sorry for my plain English!

Re: Speaker "QUIZ" name brand&Type

4590 said:
Hi everyone,

this is my first posting.

Here is a little quiz for you. Does anyone know this speaker below? Its a 15 Speaker, used in a 15/1,5 Box. Have you seen this kind of speaker before? What Brand is it?

Im thankfull for any Information.

Best wishes

Chris

PS: Sorry for my plain English!

Looks like an older JBL pro woofer based on the unique frame and the overall diaphram and surround. Should be a VERY good driver - though it will likely have a comparitivly high fs (for a 15 inch driver) - don't let that fool you into thinking the driver is bandwidth restricted - with a good ported enclosure distortion should be lower than most hi-fi woofers.

Here is a very good design utilizing a 15 inch JBL:

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1014/

Basket doesn't look like any JBL I've seen, especially not an older one(date on magnet), but i haven't seen them all yet;). I can't put my finger on it but it looks very familiar...Yamaha?... There has to be a number or two on that thing somewhere!...where's Dave?!

Nice Duck!

Illusus said:
Basket doesn't look like any JBL I've seen, but i haven't seen them all yet;). I can't put my finger on it but it looks very familiar...Yamaha?... There has to be a number or two on that thing somewhere!...where's Dave?!

Here is the newer 12 inch version (with some custom cosmetics):

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/duevel3/jupiter.html

Notice the cone profile and surround. Also note that they have gone to a solid AND "vented" frame.

On the second page of the review, there is a shot of that driver with a different finish and manufacture tag on the magnet...doesn't look like JBL either; the article doesn't mention the driver's manufacture ... I'll have to remain sceptical for now, I definitely want to know more.

The Duevel is very much DAS by the looks of it. JBL do have some similar frames notably the 1401Nd (with two opposing solid pieces and two of the finned varietry where DAS B series use three of each methinks)

Cone and surround looking the same means absolutely nothing thesedays. Chinese OEMs (some with the western franchises, erm I mean brands overseeing the QC) can produce anything for you and most cone manufacturers aren't aligned to particular vendors.

Why do I think Ohm TRS, maybe 4590 and the link the the 4555 employed in the Ohm TRS?

My guess is D.A.S 15" OEM of sorts, though the basket could come from anywhere thesedays.

Yep, this 15" Speakers comes out of a OHM TRS 115 MKII. HT Drive is a BMS 4555 16 Ohm, but I can't find a hind, where the 15" is build and OHM won't tell of course:angel:

Some years ago, OHM used www.wembleyloudspeaker.co.uk and someone told me, that they might use www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk nowadays. But none of this speakers really matches with the 15" from the TRS. So it seems, that OHM uses a very special OEM or perhaps a speaker from a "different world":confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.