Raw Acoustics HT3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
your decision on the HT3

I am trying to decide between these and the newest generation A/V-3s from GR. I alreay have an A/V-3S center I built last year that I am very pleased with. I am intrigued by the HT3 and its response on the low end.

What "upgrades" do they have avaialable? I didn't see any upgrades mentioned on the website for the kits.

upgrades

Specifically, I requested the following:

1. Upgraded crossovers. I asked him to include the Solen crossover upgrade announced in the Circle discussion board.

2. Better dampening. I asked him to replace the filler pillows with their "Ice" absorbtion material mentioned on their web site.

3. Additional connectors. I am using a total of 14 pairs of binding posts to build an external passive crossover. This will make a later upgrade to an external crossover with triamping capability.

Thanks for the interest in the HT3 guy's:D

The upgrades are as follows
-Sonicap with Mills upgrade on the tweeter network
-Mills resistors plus Sonicap cap with Solen stack on the mid network this is done to keep the cost of the Sonicap down.
-Damping material RAW ICE to line the mid chamber and some around the lower chamber of the 6.8

We have the stacked upgrade combining Solen and Sonicap to get some benift out from the mid and the Sonicap.
With a large value as it is to use pure Sonicap would cost $135.00 per mid cap upgrade to a pure Sonicap alone.
Making the upgrade to them very costly.
What we have done is a very good upgrade for a price that is more affordable to most.

Now the new HT8 uses pure Sonicap caps even stacked with Platinum bypass on 5 caps in each speaker.
Making the crossovers total over $725.00 for the pair.
This model will be sold only finished no kits and is a MTM with twin side firing extremis.

Today I was at Adire as we did the final measurments and lets say that after the demo room of Adire using a Single HT8 the ceiling tiles plus fixtures were shaking a LOT

:bigeyes: :cool:

Kind of put a very big smile on Dan Wiggings face today:cool:

And for those interested the HT3 demo program is on and the pair in the US is back on again.

All the best.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

PS.
The upgrades are not offered online yet as we had tried to keep the cost down to the kits by using Solen's but demands have asked for the cap's as a upgrade we have done so.
We will also be offering the Sonicap upgrades on all the kits as well as finished speakers we offer.

Speakers Complete!

The speakers are complete, in their "Raw" form. :D

1. I still need to veneer the speakers and finish the stands. I built a custom pair of speaker risers to give them more stability and elevate the drivers a few inches. They look great and sound better already.

2. I am not sure if I have built them correctly as I don't have any other finished speakers of comparable quality to AB with. I will take them to a local get together in a few months to see how they are received.

Overall, I am very happy with these speakers. Highly recommended!

-AF

Vintage Baby!

The Preamp, Tuner, and Amplifier are the Toshiba C-B15 (Rcvr), F-B15 (tuner), M-B15 (2x45W amp). These pieces are vintage that I have upgraded by replacing the capacitors and cleaned them up. They were manufactured circa 1978-80 and are still running great. The amp scares me as I have not been able to get into it to inspect/replace capacitors.

I will eventually dedicate this as an office system, using my Tivoli Model CD as a source.

-AF

Boxerboy: The speakers exceeded my expectations by far. I am still burning them in (30+hours now) and will provide a complete critique around 100 hours. In the meantime, I feel these speakers are perfect for me. The bass is very impressive, even with tycho(sp?) drums.

I had cowanrg over for a second set of ears. My 45wpc amp was not enough to run the speakers in my 15X25 vaulted ceiling living room. He brought his 2 35w aleph class-a monoblock amps that double down to .5 ohms; as well as a rotel 200wpc amp. Both Amps were better able to give the speakers the power they needed. I liked the sound of the Rotels better, but there were many other factors that could have been affecting comparisons.

Anyway, cowanrg agreed that the speakers sounded excellent, noting that he felt that the bass was a little too pronounced. I did notice the bloat, but only after it was pointed out to me...leave it to preference and burn in for now.

Overall, I highly recommend these speakers. I recently travelled to ListenUp and listened to the Sonus Faber Cremonas through a Rotel 200W amp. It was not an A-B comparison, sources were different, and the rooms were different. However, I feel no need to ever pick up the Cremona. I am satisfied. These speakers made my wife dance. Nuff said.

I am building the UCD-180s in monoblock form to give me the power I need. I am also planning a 3-way active crossover so that I can one day work towards tri-amping these speakers.

Planet10: I will add pictures after I get back from out of state next week.

-AF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.