Cheap Pro Audio Crossovers and EQ for home stereo?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking about getting this:
Nady CX23SW 3-Way Stereo Crossover

to deal with my crossover duties. I'll use it as a 2-way + sub at first (BLH -> dipole woofers @ ~100Hz, subwoofer below ~40Hz).

I was also thinking about getting one of these guys:
Furman Q-2151 Dual Channel 15-Band Equalizer

to do some basic EQing.

Any thoughts or things I need to be aware of when using a products like those? Would building my own circuits yield significantly better results (I do however like the ease of adjustability of those products)? If going this sort of route, would I be better off saving up for a Behringer DCX2496 (although being an Apple user, I don't know how much I can capitalize on the computer interface)?

thanks a bunch in advance for any advice :D

Hi santiu, I'll try to help.

santiu said:
I was thinking about getting this:
Nady CX23SW 3-Way Stereo Crossover

to deal with my crossover duties. I'll use it as a 2-way + sub at first (BLH -> dipole woofers @ ~100Hz, subwoofer below ~40Hz).

I was also thinking about getting one of these guys:
Furman Q-2151 Dual Channel 15-Band Equalizer

to do some basic EQing.

I never use this products, then I dont know how they works...

Any thoughts or things I need to be aware of when using a products like those?

You can modify your transfer functions only in boundaries defined by equipement. In loudspeakers world you cannot easily expect what you will need for filtering or EQ-ing, if you need to build carefully your loudspeaker response. Only few drivers in the market has "very flat response", without needs to be equalised in some small quantities.

Would building my own circuits yield significantly better results (I do however like the ease of adjustability of those products)?

In general, yes, but it depends from your skills.
Good starting point is Siegfried Linkwitz site, there you will find all (active) filter topologies widely used in loudspeaker crossovers.
But, before all, you must measure frequency response of your speakers...

If going this sort of route, would I be better off saving up for a Behringer DCX2496 (although being an Apple user, I don't know how much I can capitalize on the computer interface)?

DCX2496 has much more possibilities than equipment you listed above, but not like your custom filters.

thanks a bunch in advance for any advice :D

No problem, hope this helps.

Best regards

boggy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.