Help choosing a midrange up to $200/pair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've listened to some loudspeakers based on Scanspeak revelator series, and I really didn't get excited about them. The slit paper cone midbass is not as natural as I expected for, and they lack dynamics and speed on the bass region.

Since I got very dissapointed with them (specially when listening to a B&W 803D on a system with simpler electronics, that was much much better than any loudspeaker based on the revelator midbass even with more refined electronics), I started to look for another midbass

I've seen some options from Aurum Cantus to import, but the aluminum copper coated voice coil has turned me down, since aluminum is a poor conductor comparing with copper (don't have any idea why Aurum Cantus decided to use carbon fiber and kevlar on the cone, that are expensive materials, but saved money on the voice coil), and they have too low Fs, what can make them slow on transient response and dynamics (B&W speakers have a bit high Fs, for example, the 800 Matrix series midbass have around 55Hz after a long burnin period, and although the high Fs, they have great bass).

I'm not looking for a deep and massive bass, but I want a fast, tight bass response (the revelator midbass wasn't near from fast enough), clear, natural and warm midrange, and if possible, an extension up to 5kHz (to match my tweeter, what makes the Seas Excell 7" woofer not a option).

I already know crossover techniques, so it wouldn't be a problem, nor the cabinet construction.

I didn't want to go to 3-way system, so a pure midrange won't fit me.

Thanks in advance,

Mogar.

Aluminium voice coil is not a bad idea since alu is lighter than copper. Of course, the conductivity is a bit lower, but you may gain from a lighter moving assembly more than the reduced conductivity.

I guess you could use bigger wire, get the same voice coil resistance and still have a lighter voice coil with aluminium.

F

Humm.... I forgot about the weight... so maybe it's not a so bad idea, since a light moving mass should be good for transient response.

About the topic subject, sorry for the mistake, I'll edit that (sorry, I tried but I can't edit the first post).

About the Seas, I could hear the magnesium cone woofers from excel series (5.5" and 6.5"), but the rest of the system I didn't know how it performs. Anyway, they have big peaks at the breakup point, and I would need a midbass that can go up to 5kHz, and I'm really looking foward for the simplest crossover that I can do (since it's cheaper, and less components will always sound better). I would need some very complex crossovers in order to be able to use this midbass (and probably I will get a dissapointing result).

gary f said:
Aluminium voice coil is not a bad idea since alu is lighter than copper. Of course, the conductivity is a bit lower, but you may gain from a lighter moving assembly more than the reduced conductivity.

I guess you could use bigger wire, get the same voice coil resistance and still have a lighter voice coil with aluminium.

F

actually the differences in power handling you'll find are directly linear between the metals of copper, alum, and silver for conductivity, compression, etc... for all real purposes in audio that is

the weight to power ratio is identical among them all... generally though you can make lighter coils with alum due to problems in finding amazingly small guages for copper

this is my experience in using alum and copper VC's.... generally coils of w/e weight fail at the same power point no matter the material

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.