Bypass caps on crossover caps... :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been trying a few tweaks and changes on my crossovers, one thing I have read about is using bypass caps on the main crossover caps. So, as I had to buy 50 22nf poly caps for my gainclone PSU diodes, I have loads left over so I thought I would try them on my crossovers.

:eek: I'm quite frankly stunned at the difference adding these things has made. The improvement in imaging and the extension of the soundstage is astonishing. The character of the sound has changed slightly – it’s like when I added the zobel to the gainclone –the sound is slightly smoother or maybe more refined (?) without being less detailed or smeared.

I'm sitting with my back to the speakers typing this and it's as if the entire wall behind me is reproducing the music.

I was listening to a piece of music the other day, there was a solo trumpet playing and then 2 others joined in, I could "see" where the other two musicians were sitting!!!

The main caps I'm using are SCR and Mcaps - not the best in the world but reasonably good as I understand it.

What do bypass caps on crossover caps do? Have I made some sort of mistake with the crossovers that’s corrected by the bypass caps?

quickshift said:
I have been trying a few tweaks and changes on my crossovers, one thing I have read about is using bypass caps on the main crossover caps. So, as I had to buy 50 22nf poly caps for my gainclone PSU diodes, I have loads left over so I thought I would try them on my crossovers.

:eek: I'm quite frankly stunned at the difference adding these things has made. The improvement in imaging and the extension of the soundstage is astonishing. The character of the sound has changed slightly – it’s like when I added the zobel to the gainclone –the sound is slightly smoother or maybe more refined (?) without being less detailed or smeared.

I'm sitting with my back to the speakers typing this and it's as if the entire wall behind me is reproducing the music.

I was listening to a piece of music the other day, there was a solo trumpet playing and then 2 others joined in, I could "see" where the other two musicians were sitting!!!

The main caps I'm using are SCR and Mcaps - not the best in the world but reasonably good as I understand it.

What do bypass caps on crossover caps do? Have I made some sort of mistake with the crossovers that’s corrected by the bypass caps?

bypass caps on xover caps??

hw u do that.ie have u connected 22nf cap in parallel with each xover cap or is it like u used two 22nf for each xover cap,one leg to gnd and other with xover cap.

please depict it graphically

They are connected in parallel, they just piggyback the main caps.

I have also just added some 100nf polys as an experiment but they haven't made any further difference.

I read about it on a site that reviewed various crossover caps - I'm afraid the bookmark is on a PC at work.

Oh yeah - I did listening tests with caps on one speaker at a time, then both, then took the caps off and put them on again. The difference is really very obvious. :)

Attachments

• caps.jpg
    caps.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 269
I have active xovers in the car running 3 amps that cheers up 2 x 6"x9" 2 x 3 way 5", 2 x 2 way 4", 2 x 8" and 1 x 10" - I keep adjusting it all :D I have been known to pull over 5 or 6 times on a journey to change the xover points and levels :D

I would be like that with active xovers in the house too if I had them. At least with passive I can't keep messing about... :D

Maybe if I ever build a really special set of speakers I'll go active. :)

variable active xovers:scratch:

did u make them yourself.if yes could u plz help me realise them bec i hadnt been able to realise varible active xovers.

if they are readymade then leave the issue.

I have active xovers in the car running 3 amps that cheers up 2 x 6"x9" 2 x 3 way 5", 2 x 2 way 4", 2 x 8" and 1 x 10" - I keep adjusting it all I have been known to pull over 5 or 6 times on a journey to change the xover points and levels

where do u sit in the car with so many 'drivers';)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.