Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Theory behind Dunlavy and Lipinski speakers?
Theory behind Dunlavy and Lipinski speakers? Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2019, 02:53 AM   #31
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

The power response in the vertical plane is just terrible with mtm configurations. 1st order designs make them even worse. That was a major drawback in Dunlavy designs
Old 16th September 2019, 03:02 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

So, a steep, low crossover point should go a long way toward ameliorating that issue.
Old 16th September 2019, 03:08 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

The great thing about Dunlavy's is the defraction control and physical time alignment
Old 16th September 2019, 05:36 AM   #34
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

Eh.

Those listeners prefer a triangle step response, both drivers moving front and back at the same time.

"Time alignment" phase aligned too.

Even better would be a 6db time aligned coax, now you are a point source too.

Were i not a midbass head, I'd be firmly planted with thiels, dunlavy, or vandersteen.

Or even 8" full range, but i need wider dispersion than a couch at 12'.
Old 16th September 2019, 02:59 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Currently Iím using KEFs for that exact reason. The coaxials that Krutke tested a while back. The passives are coming out of those too.
Old 16th September 2019, 03:12 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

I bought the Dunlavy’s back in 97 because of their step response. Best sound staging I’ve ever heard from a speaker. The room power response was so bad that I just couldn’t live with them.
Old 16th September 2019, 03:21 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

On the other hand, the KEF coaxials do both well
Old 16th September 2019, 03:31 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

But anyway, I always wanted to see if I could fix the power response on the Dunlavy’s while retaining the phenomenal sound staging abilities.
Old 16th September 2019, 08:10 PM   #39
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

As Stereophile review of Dunlavey SC IV said, it’s only one of a handful ever tested to show a perfect step response as provided by a transient perfect speaker. That’s a speaker that has correct time and phase alignment. It reproduces percussion very accurately and has superb imaging.

Regarding the foam/fuzz around the tweeter - it helps smooth diffraction ripples. I don’t think it can act as a waveguide or horn - try making a horn out of porous foam or Scotchbrite pads. Does it work?

Here were some of my experiments with Scotchbrite pads around a tweeter.
FR58EX and AC130F1 micro-FAST / WAW

Click the image to open in full size.

With and without Scotchbrite around tweeter:

Step response:
Old 16th September 2019, 10:21 PM   #40
jtgofish is offline jtgofish
diyAudio Member

I have owned Sonique Encore speakers which were very much a Duntech type speaker.Sonique was owned by ex Duntech employees.They were very good WMTMW speakers using two Dynaudio D52 dome mids and Dynaudio Esotec tweeters in a felt surrounded stepped baffle arrangement.The felt was attached by velcro so could be removed.In some ways they sounded better without the felt-certainly more "air" and atmospheric sounding and a bit more involvng.The imaging was more pinpoint with the felt in place but was still very good without it.

Theory behind Dunlavy and Lipinski speakers?Hide this!Advertise here! Theory behind Dunlavy and Lipinski speakers?