Off axis response of Scan 9500/9700 tweet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Here's the chart from ScanSpeak for the 9500 tweeter for on-axis response, 30 degrees off-axis response, and 60 degrees off-axis response.

The response of the 9700 is pretty much identical.
http://www.d-s-t.com/main/index.htm

You be the judge. Good luck.

Attachments

• scan speak 9500.gif
    scan speak 9500.gif
    77 KB · Views: 297
Joined 2001
Audax makes several models in both .4 inch (10mm) and .6 inch (14mm).

The 10mm all have a resonance at 3,000 Hz, the 14 mm all have theirs at 2,000 Hz or thereabouts.

Both of these sizes therefore are meant to be crossed over fairly high. The rule of thumb is cross over at least an octave above resonance, but you can "cheat" on that, I guess, if you feel you need to.

Alas, no graphs. But there can be little doubt that the off-zxis response of both the 10 mm and 14 mm models are likely to be outstanding compared to any 1 inch dome tweeter.

That chart is a little fuzzy over here, can't really read what it says (mabye it's my monitor), but is that good or bad for off-axis response? The domes will be going in the kickpanels of my car with probably an average of 40% off axis for the drivers seat and pretty much on axis for the passenger...

Joined 2001
It's a little below average for a one inch dome tweeter. 20 K Hz is the theoretical highest frequency hearable. 15 K Hz is the highest most people actually can hear.. At 20 K Hz, the 30 degree off axis response is 12 dB down. It's about 5 dB down at 15 K Hz. At 40 degrees off axis, it will be more. I think for a car, you will probably be okay at 40 degrees off axis-you'll probably be just a little softer on the very high frequencies.

Joined 2001
Dug into my "archives", (okay, actually just an old looseleaf binder), for some frequency response charts for some old models of Audax 10 mm and 14 mm tweeters. Although Audax now has different models, the frequency response, both on-and-off axis, should be similar.

First, the 10 mm. models, Audax recommends you cross over at 5,000 Hz.

As you can see, at 15,000 Hz, (15 K Hz), there is hardly even 1 dB difference between on-axis and off-axis response. That is truly excellent dispersion.

Incidentally, some of the currently available Audax 10 mm and 14 mm models are available for less than $10-very inexpensive.

If any other poster knows of any other manufacturer making tweeters around half an inch or so, please feel free to join right in. I know there are a few manufactuers making 3/4 inch tweeters as well.

Attachments

• audax 10 mm.gif
    audax 10 mm.gif
    14.9 KB · Views: 244
Joined 2001
And now for the 14 mm tweeters. Just a bit behind, but still very good. Only about 2.5 dB down at 15,000 Hz. The Scan Speak 1 inch was about 5 dB down at that point.

Remember, these are old Audax models, but the newer models should have similar off-axis performance.

Audax recommended you cross over these 14 mm models at 4500 Hz.

Attachments

• audax 14 mm tweeter.gif
    audax 14 mm tweeter.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 244
Thanks for all the info, it was really helpful. I might give those audax tweets a try since they are so inexpensive, I wouldn't be out much if I decided I didn't like their sound. If I liked the scans better in the long run I could always give them a 5db boost at say ~15khz to make up for the poor off-axis response at that given frequency....I really love the scan tweets and I hope I will be able to integrate them into my system. Also has anyone heard their 5" midrange...particularly the 13M 8636 or 8640? Their specs give a recommended frequency highpass cutoff @ 300hz, but they have a resonence freq @ ~70hz, would it be safe to use one of these midranges and cut them off at around 70-80hz? What's the difference in sound between the 8636 and 8640? How big of enclosure do they like to be put in?? Thanks for all the help!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.