project brewing in my head, challenging, but seem like a good way to try new concepts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey all, heres where i stand. i just got this idea while enameling my current worklog towers (pics by tomorrow night) and this is what i'm thinking. what i want to do is make a three-way design. i want two mids and a ribbon. the low end will come from a single 10" subwoofer side firing at the base of the speaker. now here's the problem. would I need to use an active xover with this? the reason why i ask is because it seems that i would need to power hhe subwoofer SEPARATE from the actual components. this way, when the current is introduced into the circuit, the mids and tweet get the power that they are allotted to, whereas if I were to just run a passive and have the power run to the sub as well, it wouldn't be as productive. so here's what i'm asking. how would I go about either doing a active/passive xover, or..building a powered subwoofer inside of the cabinet. that last part makes it sound simple, but there will be no visible amps, as the cones will be grilled. i need any helpful suggestions, and deletion of irrelevant posts is appreciated.

dave
:)

ps: this was copied and pasted from caraudio.com, so some of the information isn't relevant (worklog towers)

Seems to me like it would get the regular signal that the rest of the cabinet does but the plate amp would simply be inline with the rest of the 2way, only amplifying its own range. Then the sub out would be for the 15" titanic.

So basically sending the signals to each cabinets, then having the xover do its work then outputting another signal either before or after the passive to the 10"s.

I may be wrong though, someone correct me if thats the case.

Well, if you have an amplifier with a line out, it's easy.

The line out would be plugged on the plate amplifier.
Then you plug one channel to the 2 way.
Anyway most plate amplifiers got a high level impiut so even without a line out, it's easy,

So you would have to cut a hole for the plate amplifier and a small hole for a binding post above it to go to the 2 way crossover. Each part will do its thing independently.

OK,

I think I misunderstood. If I now understand correctly, you have a powered 15 for the low end and this 3-way you wish to build will have a side firing 10 and two mids and one tweet front firing?

If so, then I would run it standard, ie: low level sub out to sub and a passive network inside the 3-way. Unless you want to tri-amp the 3-ways. In that case you'll need the extra amps and XO.

Unfortunately I don't see anything "new concept" about this. Can you explain more of what you wanted to do for a new idea?

Cal

yeah i have my diy titantic 15 for the subwoofer. i wanted to have POWERED woofers sidefiring in the cabinets as well as more likely than not, those subs won't have the impact of a standalone speaker. however, i have an xbox setup with a horrendous sony home sub that is just atrocious and it'd be beneficial to make these with powered subs so that i could do away with the sony. hope that makes sense....pretty much:

three way speaker with independently powered side firing sub. wanting to know if i need an active xover. need to know what i need to make this closer to reality.

You may find that integrating the two side firing woofers with the separate one is difficult. You are really opening the door to cancelations. Sometimes more is not better. It may be best to leave them unpowered and cut them off with a high pass.

What I did with mine is have the bass units and amp mounted rear-firing and the three way on the front crossed over at 100 hz, 6 dB passive. I don't need an extra sub.

Attachments

• img_5023.jpg
    img_5023.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 216
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.