WA Design Round Up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
A couple of weeks ago I went down to Wilmslow Audio and audition a few of their best designs. I thought I'd share my thoughts here.

Centurion:

3-way all Scanspeak system with sliced paper cones and ring radiator.

This was quite a performer for the money (just under £2000 with flat pack cabinets) or around £2400 for fully finished veneered cabinets.

The most surprising thing was the amount of bass from just a couple of 6.5" drivers. Mega clarity and detail, yet smooth. Imaging was spot on also.

Forte 2:

3-way with Scan 10" bass, ATC mid dome, Seas Crescendo treble.

This one was a couple of steps up above the Centurion IMO. Bass was a little wooly for my liking but that could have been the room. Midrange was really top notch and the crescendo mated well. A very easy speaker to listen to. I'd prefer a little more top end sparkle but I suspect it was the voicing of the XO that wasn't quite to my tastes. A very britsh sounding speaker - smooth, controlled and detailed.

Prestige 2:

3-way with 12" Volt Radial, ATC mid dome and Scan 2905-9900 treble.

This was easily the best out of the above. A great speaker. I love the sound of the Volt drivers and the Radial is very punchy and quick sounding, you always felt that it was in control even when pushed hard. ATC sounded superb once again, I love this driver and if it wasn't for the price I'd don't see why there'd be any other mids on the market.
If there was a weak point I'd say it was the treble, there just wasn't enough of that air or magic that I normally like. Personally I'm almost sure its the way the systems are voiced. A bit like the tweeters could all use another 1 or 2dB's boost to bring them in line with the other drivers - this is that british sort of sound I was talking about.

All in all it was a good trip and I got to assess my project in terms of the Forte and Prestige designs since I also use the ATC mid dome. A direct comparison is probably unfair because I've voiced my system to my tastes and the way Wilmslow voice their system is more akin to hifi rather than the studio type of sound I prefer.
So its clear that those designs had a distinct disadvantage already. So I prefer my take on things.

For anyone looking to buy a ready to build design I'd recommend any of the above, especially the Prestige 2. Wilmslow is also a bit of an aladdins cave. Its old fashioned inside but every corner is filled with stuff that makes a DIY'er feel like a kid in a candy store.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

interesting- im planning a similar trip for next week as im starting the final year of my industrial design degree and need to listen to a good range of drivers to pick out some for my final year design project.
Im interested in the volt bass drivers you have mentioned in various posts, as i like a taught, punchy bass and plumbing the depths of the lower octave is not that important for me. I hope they have a model that utilises those drivers. I also need to find a decent mid unit that doesnt cost the earth- as much as id like to use a pair of atc's i really cant stretch my student loan that far!
The main aspect of the project will be the design of the enclosure- as well as the aethetics- ie not a rectangular box!- i am going to be researching some interesting lightweight polymers a tutor of mine has been building guitars with, and hopefully find a successfull application in loudspeaker eclusure design.
Ill report back here though after my trip to say what i think of their range :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.