which woofers (5way aktiv)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We need more info to help here! What other drivers are you using, and what is the passband of each, in particular the woofer you speak of. There are just too many that we could recommend without much to narrow it down. If it's a 5 way you could have a large high efficiency driver to handle midbass and cross to a sub, say a 12" or 15" PA driver like say the Eminence Magnum 12HO, which has a shorting ring and low distortion motor ... or a number of hifi woofers like the 10" Peerless CSX which also has a low distortion motor and a nice flat midrange response which makes it easier to work with. Or do you really want a subwoofer driver?

If I had my way? If there were no separate subs used, I would start with a Precision Devices PD2450 from the bottom end up until approximately 200Hz, at which point your midrange driver can take over.

If you had a separate sub I would probably use a sealed sub /w LT filter cutting out at about 30-40Hz and then using the PD2450 above it.

Sounds like quite an ambitious project! Are you going to build the active xo yourself or use a digital one? Are you going to measure it?

Recently I was looking into some pro drivers, which appear to be what you are after. Eminence drivers impressed me the most, not only for their price, but also well tamed response. The Magnum 12HO is very flat for example. Beyma also have some drivers which appear to be very good, and unlike most, they actually publish distortion and power compression charts.

Cal Weldon said:
I am confused, you have already chosen a five way system and haven't picked a woofer? How on earth did you come to the five way conclusion?

Cal
I already have a 3way system and the new's goal is to correct the mistakes:

first i was never satisfied with my crossover even after 2 years
--> new aktiv

second the bass does't goes deep enough for me so i need something biggr then the used 11" woofers
but since I don't like to go from a 15"woofer to 7"mt i need one 11"-12" and one 15" as subbass

third i love my ht and mt but since the mt is 7" and the ht not even1"
i got the area between 1khz and 2,5khz not optimal

-->mt/ht in the 1-2,5khz gab

---->> 5 way
subbass till~ 40-60
bass till~150
mt till~1khz
mt/ht till~6khz
ht from 6kz

What don't you like about what you have?

I agree with the other comments, 5 way does seem to add a lot of difficulty! 4 way makes more sense to me - tweeter, mid, woofer, subwoofer. If that isn't enough to get the dynamics, bandwidth and accuracy you want, then I'd look at the quality of the components, and how they are integrated.

As a side note....

...How did you find the Eminence 12" drivers, paulspencer. What did you decide on in the end, 12"/ horn, 12"/ ribbon?. Sorry to get off topic, maybe you could PM me your findings/results.

Back on track....

I think even a 3-way could handle it, aslong as you have enough £££.

Bass: 18's on the bass in open baffle up to 200hz/250hz(or as high as h/w/etc resonance will allow), should get flat down to 30hz, add more drivers(4 per side etc), if needed.

Mid: 1 or 2 10"/12" high efficiency jobbies from 200hz/250hz to 1.5/2k/however far they can reasonably go.

Tweeter: Suitable ribbon/horn, maybe someone else could chime in here?

I'm sure this setup would not only be much less complex than a 5-way, it'd be much more dynamic than a 5-way specced with smaller/hi-fi drivers.

Give us a bit of feedback jafp23

;)

Derf, I don't know anything about the eminence drivers except having heard the HE10 based on Beta 10cx and the data I've seen, and comments from others on forums. To me they appear to be good value for money and a few of them have a surprisingly flat response. For me, I'm sticking to hifi drivers for now, looking to tweak mine, add woofers and experiment with waveguides, OB, etc. I'm still keen on the idea of larger HE drivers, something I'll most likely get into later.

I think he wants to add on woofers and upgrade, rather than build a 5 way active from scratch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.