LCY 130 or SCAN-SPEAK Revelator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: I've used both

jhenderson01075 said:
I have used the SS 99000 and the LCY 130 on my MTMs. I prefer the wide dispersion qualities of the LCY. I cross it at 1500 Hz, at 110 dB/oct using the DEQX.

I detect no strain in the tweeter, even though it is crossed this low. I recently changed my mid woofers in the system from SS8545s to Seas W18s and cross low to avoid the resonance in this woofer at ~1600 Hz (and of course the larger one at ~5K).

Hi Jim.

Thanks very much for your excellent reply. This is exactly what I needed to know. Looks like it will be the LCY. I know the Excels work well with other ribbons so I suspect it would be an excellent combination. But I am attracted to the low end of the revelators over the EXCEL. From what I have read the EXCEL'S have more detail but the bass of the revelator is rather special and if crossed over below 1.6K is quite close in the midrange - evidently above that the revelator has audible coloration over the EXCEL.

Thanks
Bill

Re: Re: I've used both

Audiophilenoob said:
it's always seemed to me that ideally... the midrange should simply be better vs. finding a lower playing tweet

I like many people always plan for systems to have flat midrange response for well above 2khz... sometimes WELL above 4khz... this way mating with any tweeter is far easier... and you can have lots of choices

also I greatly dislike tweeters playing below 2khz

Although one would need to listen to be sure I suspect the above is from the perspective of conventional crossovers. With a device like the DEQX that is perfectly time aligned and phase coherent it might not be possible to even tell which driver is producing which sound and even what the crossover point is. My reading of the reviews of NHT DEQX offering is that it is simply not possible to tell.

Thanks
Bill

Re: Re: Re: I've used both

Bill Hobba said:
Although one would need to listen to be sure I suspect the above is from the perspective of conventional crossovers. With a device like the DEQX that is perfectly time aligned and phase coherent it might not be possible to even tell which driver is producing which sound and even what the crossover point is. My reading of the reviews of NHT DEQX offering is that it is simply not possible to tell.

I also wanted to add that with the DEQX the use of more drivers creates problems cost wise - you need extra high quality amplification. I am hopeing to use the Nuforce amps and an extra $US 1600 for going 3 way is not a trivial concern. However if amplification cost was not an issue I would mate it to say a ACCUTON C44 and crossover at say 800 hz and 4K. The cost of the ACCUTON could be offset by being able to use the cheaper Aurum Cantus G2SI. But for me the extra amp cost is a killer. I however may experiment and see which produces a better result - more drivers and cheaper amps or less drivers and higher quality amps. One could dream about a three way with all NuForce amps - now that would really be something - but $4800 for the amps - ouch.

Thanks
Bill

Re: Re: Re: Re: I've used both

Bill Hobba said:

I also wanted to add that with the DEQX the use of more drivers creates problems cost wise - you need extra high quality amplification. I am hopeing to use the Nuforce amps and an extra $US 1600 for going 3 way is not a trivial concern. However if amplification cost was not an issue I would mate it to say a ACCUTON C44 and crossover at say 800 hz and 4K. The cost of the ACCUTON could be offset by being able to use the cheaper Aurum Cantus G2SI. But for me the extra amp cost is a killer. I however may experiment and see which produces a better result - more drivers and cheaper amps or less drivers and higher quality amps. One could dream about a three way with all NuForce amps - now that would really be something - but $4800 for the amps - ouch.

Thanks
Bill

true.... but who's to say I don't have fully adjustable TA , DRC and phase adjustment ;)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I've used both

Audiophilenoob said:

true.... but who's to say I don't have fully adjustable TA , DRC and phase adjustment ;)

No one. And your comments may be about listening to drivers optimally set up. I was simply sugesting a device like the DEQX may mitigate your concerns - the proof is in the listening. The reason I am attracted to a device like the DEQX is not so much for its crossover capabilities but because it corrects what I think is the biggest cause of problems in modern Hi Fi - the room. Of course to get the most out of it one would use high slope active corssovers.

Thanks
Bill

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I've used both

Bill Hobba said:

No one. And your comments may be about listening to drivers optimally set up. I was simply sugesting a device like the DEQX may mitigate your concerns - the proof is in the listening. The reason I am attracted to a device like the DEQX is not so much for its crossover capabilities but because it corrects what I think is the biggest cause of problems in modern Hi Fi - the room. Of course to get the most out of it one would use high slope active corssovers.

Thanks
Bill

this can be done quite better and for a fully active 3-way 5 speaker setup if done on a comp like I'm trying to set up

and it's cheaper

Flat response

The Seas drivers can be equalized by the DEQX to be perfectly flat to almost 4 KHz. And, certainly crossing to the LCY at ~ 2KHz or more would be nothing but goodness in terms of distortion produced by the tweeter.

But, the Seas 18Ws have a minor resonance at 1.6 kHz and a major one at 4.7 KHz. So, I followed the lead of Linkwitz Labs and North Creek and crossed to the LCY early in hopes of mitigating distortion.

My rationale is that the amount of distortion produced by the 18W is lower than most other mid-woofers, however it does exhibit increased distortion at these particular frequencies. The amount of distortion produced by the LCYs is less than that of the Seas at 1.6 kHz. So, crossing to the LCYs early should result in a system with minimal distortion.

Since frequency response and phase are virtually perfect with the DEQX, minimal distortion is my design goal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.