Bohlender&Graebener Neo 8 Magnetostat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Huge speakers.

Hi everyone,
I am impressed with all of you building huge speakers with the Neo8. I am sure they sound great. A few of us still seem to want to stick to a single Neo8 with a woofer.
I decided to use a vifa p17w that I have in a TL enclosure with an active LR 12db crossover at 600hz.
Has anyone used anything close to this? If so how does it sound ?
I do not want a stacked Neo 8. I might decide to get the 48 inch version but not stacked neo8's.
How are the single neo8 ( or Neo8 PDR ) users doing ?
my driver is the Neo8PDR.
Cheers.
Ashok.

Neo8PDR test results

I couldn't wait any more to test my Neo8's. So I put them on a plywood baffle and crossed over to my Mission 701's. I use an electronic crossover feeding my 2 channel power amp.
I used a 12db/octave Linkwitz Riley crossover at about 700 Hz.
Only one channel at this time. I did not adjust the level of the tweeter so it must have been a few db more that it should be.

First impressions are very good. Transients are really nice but different from what I am used to. I will have to test it out as a stereo pair to make a proper judgement. But I think it sounds very good. No boxiness of vocals at all. Generally clean sound and no audible trace of the HF peak.
I played it quite loud ( all of 75 watts ) and it was clean - and too loud!
How about all you guys who picked up this unit last year. Have you finished your design? Any feedback on how it sounds would be welcome in addition to some implementation details.
Considering the clean sound from the tweeter I am even more convinced that this unit must be used in a full dipole system or with a TL to avoid boxiness of the usual cabinets.
I do not have an 8 inch or 10 inch of good enough quality to go with this tweeter. So my final system may take some time.
Can anybody suggest a good 10 inch or 8 inch that will sound absolutely clean up to about 700Hz. Any break up at 1 or 2 Khz will in my opinion be very audible as noisiness. Any units with a controlled response beyond 700Hz ?
Thanks.
Ashok.

Attachments

• neo8-test.jpg
    neo8-test.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,467
The P17

Hi Andrea,
I plan to make the TL for the Vifa P17 and use it with the PT2 Dayton planar tweeter I have. These have to be crossoved over fairly high at about 2.5KHz or so. The P17 is very well behaved. On playing it directly in my system it doesn't sound noisy at any point. So it should work well at about 2.5kHz.I will use a LR crossover to increase the roll off at the crosover frequency.I have not decided if that will be a 12db type or a 24db type. I will test it out with an electronic crossover where it is very easy to implement the curve we want.
My Neo8 will have to wait for the P17 results because I have never built a TL before.
cheers.
Ashok.

Push push configration.

Hi Andrea,
If I am not mistaken the push push configuration uses the two drivers back to back working in phase. This tends to cancel the vibrations from the drivers. But as a TL already is a very low colouration enclosure , how much would you gain by using a push push configuration in a TL?
If I remember right KEF used something like this in their model 104. But of course the box was a bandpass type I think. I could be wrong.
The Thor looks fine. I would like a tall TL with a WTW configuration. The tweeter being at ear level in your room.
I plan to use only one woofer with the Neo8 and the PT2. If my 6 1/2 inch Mission woofer sounds so good with the Neo8, I will be happy with an 8 inch woofer for the TL. I would go for a 10 inch only if the driver is as good as the 8 inch.
Cheers.

Something new!

I just complete my last project using two Neo8, a Neo3PDR and 4 Peerless HDS 8". Crossover frequencies are 1200Hz and 6000Hz at 9dB/oct using a series Xover. Zeta is .7

Adding the Neo3 makes a big difference on the last octave. I'm flat now till 18Khz compare to around 13Khz using only the Neo8.

So far, I'm very pleased with the initial result :) Bass is very clean and tight. F3 is aroung 36Hz in room. No peak at 12Khz. Initial measurement shows +- 2.5dB from 500 to 18Khz in room.

Attachments

• dscn0018b.jpg
    dscn0018b.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,682
Hi,

I've recently tried a horn (waveguide) loaded neo8 setup. 4 neo8 per side and two 18" deep vertical plywood vaveguides in about 75 deg angle. The back is open with wool/acoustic foam backwave damping.
Sensitivity is up about 3dB It needs CD EQ above 2.5k, but surprisingly it goes flat to 20k now with the EQ, while on a baffle it rolled down abowe 15k. With EQ it can priduce 200-20k without strain. Below 200Hz I use a serious dipole setup.
The result is much better than the baffle ( or boz I've tried previously), much more depth and impact. Strange...

Thanks Ashok!

Yes, the line array is mine. If you look back on this thread, you will have the details. I only listened to my last project for a few hours but initial listening shows that adding the Neo3 makes a big difference on the upper extreme (10Khz and up). Besides that, I really can't compare them fairly because they are two completely different concept one beeing a line source in an active configuration using a sub and the other a point souirce in a passive configuration without using a sub.

But given the improvement the Neo3 provides, I might modify the Neo8 baffle in the line to incorporate the Neo3 with a simple series passive filter at around 6 or 7Khz.

Horn loading.

Hi Fcserei,
Can you post some pictures and more details of what you did.
It would be interesting to try it out. Great for you to have thought about it. It did occur to me to load the fornt of the Neo8 but I did not think of a large horn.
Some pictures would be great. Or at least some sketches.
Thanks.
Cheers.
Ashok.

My Neo8PDR cost about US$62 each.

tomahack said:
Besides that, I really can't compare them fairly because they are two completely different concept one beeing a line source in an active configuration using a sub and the other a point souirce in a passive configuration without using a sub.

Good point. I have been mulling over the implications of combining a Neo8 line source with a Neo3 point source. If at all, would probably try to cure the Neo8 resonance with a notch filter and then use a first order crossover. Or use an active subtractive crossover with a fourth-order LP at 8-10 kHz. The Neo3 can easily handle the complementary 1st order HP slope, especially if crossed over that high. The whole thing would probably be transient perfect because of the very similar drivers used for midrange and highs.

fcserei said:
Hi,

I've recently tried a horn (waveguide) loaded neo8 setup. 4 neo8 per side and two 18" deep vertical plywood vaveguides in about 75 deg angle. The back is open with wool/acoustic foam backwave damping.
Sensitivity is up about 3dB It needs CD EQ above 2.5k, but surprisingly it goes flat to 20k now with the EQ, while on a baffle it rolled down abowe 15k. With EQ it can priduce 200-20k without strain. Below 200Hz I use a serious dipole setup.
The result is much better than the baffle ( or boz I've tried previously), much more depth and impact. Strange...

I, too, would appreciate a more detailed description or sketch. I am particularly interested in the rough size of the waveguide.

I am not sure I understand what you are explaining in the second paragraph. What is CD equalization? What is boz?

Sory, my typing skills. The boz is box, of course.
The CD EQ is the rorrection needed for Constant Directivity horns above the mass rollof point. In the case of the neo8 it seems the increased mass of air load because of the waveguide causes a constant slope rolloff above 2.5k. I had to add about 3 db/oct above 2.5k to have an almost flat curve up to 20k.

Hi Fcserei,
Is that all ? Straight sided with the throat as big as the radiating area on the Neo8's? Can you describe how much equalisation you used and at what frequencies. Can't be all that simple to get 200 ~ 20Khz. I just hope it is !
Is the 'CD equalisation' a mistake - if not what were you trying to say?
Thanks.
Cheers.
Ashok.

Capslock : The 'boz' is a typo. It should have been 'box'.
It zapped me for a few minutes especially after the CD eq!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.