What's the best brand speaker/box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, i'm just curious.... :)

I've heard JBL speakers before and i love the crisp clear sound they deliver.

What are your opinions on the best speakers/box out there?
Maybe even what application for each?

ie: I heard cerwin vegas are good speakers, but mainly for rock music.

Bill Fitzpatrick said:
And this guy is a moderator? Give me a break.

Oh, I apologize Bill. I guess the question might be too easy to answer? Or?

My hobby isn't loudpeakers. Though It is something that interests me greatly.

I mainly stick to the Video section, attempting to build a large screen projector tv. If you ever need any questions answered, please do ask, I would love to help out.

If you do have an answer to the question I had asked, I would love to hear it. It's always good to learn new information.

What Does 'Best' Mean ?.

Ken, those questions are a little too broad.
Applications ? - Big room ?, small room ?, max SPL ?, lowest frequency ?, power handling ?, classical ?, rock ?, techno ?, HT ?, etc, etc, etc.......
And perhaps the best speaker for you is not the optimum for someone else.
My advice is to look around in the retail stores and find a sound you like, study it and then try to emulate it.
You should be able to do this for half the cost of retail - typical retail markup is 100% and 1000% for Levinson stuff.

Eric.

Attitude? Sure, Multiplexor seems polite and perhaps unassuming. Is that all it takes to be a moderator?

Maybe I just don't understand the function of a moderator.

I assumed that a moderator had the following qualifications:

1. Tact and the ability to help keep the peace.
2. A reasonable amout of practical and theoretical experience in ALL the areas that the forum covers.
3. Intelligent.
4. Fairly world wise with at least a small understanding of how a broad spectrum of people think.
5. Unbiased and open minded.
6. Possibly additional attributes.

Would someone kindly explain?

Would someone kindly explain?

Not trying to start flaming anyone Bill your list of qualifications would certainly yeild a fabulous moderator. However realistically I don't think too many people fit the bill, much fit the bill and are willing to be a moderator. It's one of those thankless jobs, no one notices you till you **** them off ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bill Fitzpatrick said:
2. A reasonable amout of practical and theoretical experience in ALL the areas that the forum covers.

I don't think this is required. For instance i'm lost when it comes to video, or digital, understand a bit of the SS stuff, know enuff about tubes to make it look like i know something, but my main experience is in speakers.

Would making you a moderater get you to pay attention to 1, 4 & 5?

Multiplexor,

There are many valid flavors and approaches to building speakers. Every speaker is a set of compromises and which set of compromises you find most suitable to you depends on many factors including the room, the kit you are driving it with, your listening experience ....

I have used an approach which i call mostly Full Range -- a single driver covering most of the range with some help at the extremes (always active at the bottom). I used to use ESLs but am currently playing with more efficient FR cones (partly so that i can get the required levels out of small wattage tube amps).

Some of the guys here and elsewhere have found nirvana with JBLs, most of my experience was with their commercial offerings of the 70s & 80s (which IME sucked) during a time when they weren't at there best.

So tell us more about your needs and we can narrow things down.

dave

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Ken,

The question you've asked is very general. You are most likely looking for some kind of pre-existing FAQ or reference material that covers currently available loudspeakers. Not being 'in the scene' at the moment, I can't suggest a particular link, thread or document that covers the whole schebang.

Perhaps one of our friendly loudspeaker guru's has something in mind to help bring you up to speed on what is available.

<hr>
:firefite:
Bill, this is OT but Ken is the moderator of the <i>video</i> section. I'm not here to add fuel to the proverbial fire, but I think I would add #7: Has both the time and balls to stick his neck out and increase the amount of positive energy in the world.

planet10 said:

I don't think this is required. For instance i'm lost when it comes to video, or digital, understand a bit of the SS stuff, know enuff about tubes to make it look like i know something, but my main experience is in speakers.

Would making you a moderater get you tp pay attention to 1, 4 & 5?

Multiplexor,

There are many valid flavors and approaches to building speakers. Every speaker is a set of compromises and which set of compromises you find most suitable to you depends on many factors including the room, the kit you are driving it with, your listening experience ....

I have used an approach which i call mostly Full Range -- a single driver covering most of the range with some help at the extremes (always active at the bottom). I used to use ESLs but am currently playing with more efficient FR cones (partly so that i can get the required levels out of small wattage tube amps).

Some of the guys here and elsewhere have found nirvana with JBLs, most of my experience was with their commercial offerings of the 70s & 80s (which IME sucked) during a time when they weren't at there best.

So tell us more about your needs and we can narrow things down.

dave

Hello :)

Thanks for the awesome reply. After reading the comments in the thread, and re-reading my question..... I would have to say my question is rather general :D

I will be moving into a basement apt. very soon and was considering eventually purchasing some good quality speakers. At the moment I have a set of large jvc speaker boxes. They include a tweater/mid/loudspeaker/built in sub. The sound isn't tooo bad and I can't complain.

I will not be making any purchases for a little while, but I feel it's good to have the knowledge and reflect on it.

The living room I will be placing my speakers in is fairly large in size. (can't give actual numbers since i'm only moving in next week.)

The sound I am personally looking for is probably the same as everyone elses: Something crisp and clear.

I would build my own enclosures and place some quality speakers in them, but my time is limited with the many projects I am working on. I guess this is why I asked a general question. :D

anywho, I will go do some research and readup on speakers/enclosures/etc...

gotta run, I have some java socket programming to do.... yet another project... :D

no need to reply guys, I'm going to readup and probably post some other questions later.

Thanks guys,

Frank

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
Multiplexor
no need to reply guys, I'm going to readup and probably post some other questions later.

Bill Fitzpatrick
And this guy is a moderator? Give me a break.

Nelson Pass
Lately my favorites have been:
TAD, for the big buck crowd,
PHL for the slightly less wealthy
Polydax Pro, for slightly less $ yet
Fostex for the budget minded
Beyma and Selenium instead of beer.
And of course the ever popular Altec 604's

Yes there is a need for a reply.
Here you see one guy busting to start a fight compared with another guy offering advice.

Sure Nelson did not post straight after Multiplexor with his helpful suggestions but is still shows that one way provides information while the other way provides nothing at all.

Your an experienced man Bill. It would be nice if you set an example of good posting. If thats all you can contributel why dont you open your very own thread "I want to be rude and unhelpful as often as possible".

Remp from Video section.

Hi multiplexor,

I have been in your shoes so here is what i suggest.

1. locate a few good audio dealers who also sell HT in your area.
2. Listen to a few of your fav. CDs and watch a few frames of you fav DVDs.
3. Let the dealer know your budget and application - a good dealer will help you better the more he knows.
4. For your first system I would suggest buying a model you have listend to.

On my last trip to the US I helped a non audiophile friend by his first audio / video system. He has never had a audio system of any kind but was able to tell one speaker from another, one AVR from another, and one DVD player from another.

I am a firm believer that even the least expereinced person can tell differences in speakers, AVRs and Source given the time. My wife (who is by no means a audiophile) was able to tell a slight change in the difraction compensation circuit of my loudspeakers.

I hope this helps and gets us back on the thread subject.

Ken, those questions are a little too broad.
Applications ? - Big room ?, small room ?, max SPL ?, lowest frequency ?, power handling ?, classical ?, rock ?, techno ?, HT ?, etc, etc, etc.......

mrfeedback: This is very interessting. May there be an answer if i fill out this checklist?

Applications - needs explanation
room 5*6*2.5m
max SPL - needs explanation (Watt?)
lowest frequency maybe 50 Hz?
classical Yes
rock - maybe , not preference for choice
techno - are you nuts?
HT ??
etc, etc, etc. what?

multiplexor said:
Hey guys, i'm just curious.... :)

I've heard JBL speakers before and i love the crisp clear sound they deliver.

What are your opinions on the best speakers/box out there?
Maybe even what application for each?

Dude,

You didn't say whether you wanted recommendations for a complete speaker, or for drivers. JBL Pro drivers are some of the very best you can buy, better than much of the audiophool rubbish sold at stupid prices. They lack 'cred' with many sectors of the market, but that's ignorance or stupidity. JBL have decades of experience and have made some fine speakers in their time (as well as some dogs). Selling to Pro's is a harder job than to 'phools as the Pro guys can often read and understand specs and acoustics, and if you BS them, they'll be much harder to sell to in the future.

First place to have a look see is
www.jblpro.com in the components and obsolete sections. There you'll find a ton of datasheets on individual drivers and their applications, as well as many monitor and theatre speakers. The CS3115 is well regarded by many. Best part is there is often useful info like distortion measurements included in the spec sheets. Many of the drivers in the Obsolete section are still found second hand at good prices, especially through places like Jammin Jersey and Orange County Speaker works, both in California. I've dealt with both and found their service and professionalism to be excellent. JBL have regular "tent sales" posted from their website where you can pick up gear at good prices.

Another place too look is
www.audioheritage.org where you'll find a lot of historical info on many JBL complete speakers that can still be found at good prices on the second hand market. There's also a forum there where you can ask questions.

Also try the High Efficiency speaker forum at http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/HUG/bbs.html where there are a lot of enthusiastic and knowledgable amateurs as well as pro's like 'tomservo' (Thomas Danley of Servodrive) and 'djk', who also posts here sometimes. The archives are well worth mining for info.

I have more experience with individual drivers than with completed speakers, and will detail that later if you want. $hile recently ran a quite positive reveiw of the S38 speaker. It's in the archives on their site.

Cheers
Brett

The question is akin to asking

"Whats the best Pizza?" or "Whats the best color?"

It's an incredibly general and broad question, without knowing price range, listening preferences, room characteristics among other things its impossible to answer the question.

The answer is really, the best speaker is the one you most prefer listening to the music you like in your room.

Ken - Dave Ellis is in your neck of the woods

Or at least in the same corner of the world that you are in

Ellis Audio 1801 -

Is one I have suggested to my son.

I haven't heard it but it seems to be well thought of -

*Ellis sells Kits

*he's somewhat close to you.

*Dave posts frequently on the Madisound board and some of the other builders/owners do.

*The drivers are reasonably new and are well respected by a number of the posters on Madiound -

*Potential updates to crossover or design should be readily availabe if they occur.

*he offers different versions and parts upgrades

*Seems like a pretty good, quick no hassle, high potential for success project without a lot of fooling with it.

http://www.ellisaudio.com

While you didn't say specifically in terms of usage, amp, budget, room, etc., since you're more into the video side - this speaker seemed like a good recommendation to someone who isn't into high resolution but has the potential to do so - I'm thinking that quite possibly the speaker is good enough to help you hear what you have been missing and encourage you to upgrade amps and/or other parts of the sound chain.

Also, there are some reviews at audioreveiw.com if you're into that sort of thing - I'm always at least a little skeptical of such - however it is additional information.

Hope this helps

Ken L

:D

Kelly McDonald said:
The question is akin to asking

"Whats the best Pizza?" or "Whats the best color?"

It's an incredibly general and broad question, without knowing price range, listening preferences, room characteristics among other things its impossible to answer the question.

The answer is really, the best speaker is the one you most prefer listening to the music you like in your room.

Hmm so then a more specific question to ask would be:

What speaker is best for a specific sound?
ie: JBL speakers work best with classical music.

Or can any speaker fill this spot, depending on it's position in a room and the box it is placed in?

Brett, you said I was unclear on what I wanted. Speakers or drivers. Could you please explain what a driver is again? I forgot what the term meant.

For now, I would like a complete set. Something I do not have to build myself. But for this thread I was curious if I did build a set myself, which (is it speaker or driver?) speakers people would recommend. I listen to pretty much anything except for rock/metal.

The only problem, as mentionned before is that I don't know the room size yet. :(

That, and I have a Sony STR-DE635 stereo system Capable of cranking out loud sound... but quality wise... leaves much to be desired.

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm going to check out the links in this thread right now.

Ken/Multiplexor:

Jason informs me that you are moderator of the <i>video</i> section.

On re-reading the thread dealing with a moderators function I see that moderators do not specifically need to know anything about audio.

Based on this I offer my apology for the reply I made to your initial post.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.