I just built Zaph's HiVi B3s speakers... thanks a lot, Zaph! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just had extra pvc laying around from a potato launcher I built 2 weeks ago. The prototype is just to get an initial feel, for how I can expect the speakers to perform, and I think it was a great success. The caps arn't even sealed on the pipe, just a dry fit. I am planing on building Zaphs's boxes.

Besides my design goal is to make a nearly disposable speaker, not a really high quality build. The speakers are going to be exposed to alaska oceans and extreme weather. I have a pair of nice PSB's for my apartment that don't need to be replaced.

I'll post some videos after work

hope this is not redundant

this is from Zaphs build page:

"I don't know where I got a Bennic Poly 4.3 uF cap, nobody sells them. 4.7 is too big and 3.9 is too small for this. You can parallel a 1.0 and 3.3 to reach this value however. "

but now Parts /Express has these:
4.3 - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free.

If the link does not work, just search PE website for "4.3uf capacitor"

Howard

thanks grimberg

I was copying it from the address bar, but each time I tried it would not come out right.

I am thinking to buy a pair of B3S and make some boxes with the equivalent volume of Zaph's to use to make our TV sound clearer. Probably should use a sub too.

Howard

Modern flat screen TVs are slim, which doesn't leave much room for speakers. That's why they all have poor sound. External boxes are always a great improvement.
As for the sub-woofer, if you haven't seen this project, it gives good results for its low cost. I built it in a box with the equivalent volume to have a better looking unit.

Subwoofer

subwoofer

Grimberg,

I was recently looking at the SLS woofers. Seems like good value in these drivers.

The bucket as enclosure is interesting approach. I have woodworking tools, so a wood box is my choice too, but the bucket is a nice option for those without easy access to tools and appropriate work-space.

The bucket is interesting in another way---in a way it is an aperiodic type of enclosure-due to the flexing of the walls. Also the plastic will re-radiate energy in a different way than wood.

I smiled as I remembered a speaker that I made for my teenaged backyard hide-out. It was a 1950's Jensen alnico 8" set into the top of a metal milk can--about 15 gals or so? I ran zip cord for about 75ft and put on a reel to reel tape from my room in the house. That was a nice sounding speaker. Wish I still had it.

flexing

Hi Dave,

So, the cylinder is a good shape for a sub woofer enclosure with minimal wall thickness.

That indicates that whatever movement there is in the bucket enclosure membrane around the cylinder--such as vibration that you can probably feel when it is playing loud, is likely the plastic stretching? The top would probably flex up and down a bit. The bottom is secured with concrete.

And a sphere?

aspect ratio

Is there an aspect ratio where an enclosure stops/starts behaving like a pipe?

The MLTL low cut-off is directly related to it's length, but also to the dimensions of the port?

I have been intrigued to see comments/data that in some enclosures different size drivers of similar type(up to a reasonable degree of size variation I'm sure) can work similarly in a given ported-box/horn/pipe. The position of the driver in a pipe seems to be really important to optimizing the design.

I have noticed that a big driver in a small (sealed or ported) box tends to have a boomy peak before it rolls off. I assume this would be true for a TL, MLTL?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is there an aspect ratio where an enclosure stops/starts behaving like a pipe?

The BR math assumes a box with dimensional ratios not that far off from a cube. As one dimension starts to significantly grow and the other 2 shrink, the box will slowly transition from a BR to an ML-TL. I have boxes where i purposely work to defeat the ¼ wave behavior (the Compact FLoor Stander miniOnkens) and visa-versa one can work to enhance the ¼ wave action (the big Woden ML-TL for the GPA 604).

Here is a picture collaged together from Martin's ANSYS simulation of a BR vrs his 1st ML-TQWT which clearly shows the different characteristics caused by a stretching the box... both have the same driver, volume & port -- the only difference is shape.

22923d1078600696-whats-difference-tl-ml-tl-tqwt-ml-vrs-br-modes-gif

The MLTL low cut-off is directly related to it's length, but also to the dimensions of the port?

Yes. The port/restricted terminus supplies some extra pole(s) to the Low Pass function of the pipe and where this is is determined by its size.

The position of the driver in a pipe seems to be really important to optimizing the design.

The Zd of a driver can be such that it acts to kill off one of the unwanted harmonics (usually best to traget the lowest one) to further improve the low-pass function of the terminus. This and the mass-loading given by a restricted terminus means less damping is required to get smooth response and more bass enhancement can be realized by the primary ¼ wavelength resonance.

I have noticed that a big driver in a small (sealed or ported) box tends to have a boomy peak before it rolls off. I assume this would be true for a TL, MLTL?

That is all design dependent. A driver in a box significantly smaller than its Vas will peak at the bottom and have an underdamped response. Adding a reflex port typically just makes this worse.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.